HANDBASE: Syncing with ICS/Jellybean

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HANDBASE: Syncing with ICS/Jellybean

Postby curtterp » Sat May 11, 2013 8:41 am

Adhoc doesn't work with Android yet. Tested on both 4.1.1 and 4.2.2. Neither device would see the AdHoc network I set up on my Windows 7 Laptop.

However, I have an easy way to solve this problem

moneil wrote: If I'm in the field overnight I really, really want to be able to get new data input off the the phone or tablet and onto a laptop, both for backup security and also to be able to work with the data in Windows based programs.

Solution: Get a small cheap wireless router to carry with you when you go into the field. Your laptop and device will both be able to connect to the router, then you can sync the databases through HanDBase. It doesn't have to be hooked up to the internet to sync with each other. This way, no matter where you are, you always have the network with you, you can secure with WPA2, and you have a small secure connection whenever you need it to sync your databases.

When my wife and I would travel to see family, I used to carry a compact Linksys router in my laptop bag. That way we both would have internet when a hotel only had a single wired connection. It worked out very well

Just a thought.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby brewdude » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 am

I just acquired a Samsung Galaxy S4 (using Jellybean 4.2.2). I followed the steps without problem until I came to the last one. I couldn't get my device recognized. I am using Windows 7. I suspect my problem has to do with the desktop version of HandBase that I am using. It is 4.2.0. When I log in to my account so I can upgrade to 4.6.1, build R1 (presumably the latest version available), I click install and get the following error message which aborts my installation:

C:\Program Files (x86)\HandBase4\handbasedesktop.exe

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed; code 5.
Access is denied

I am at an impasse.
brewdude

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting. You will need to restart your computer, download the installer exe file from your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html and with no third party programs running, double click the installer to begin the installation process. The error code you encountered occurs when the installer has trouble overwriting a file that is still open.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby brewdude » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 pm

I now make it to step three of the new user setup. I correctly entered the address shown on my android device (yes, I included the http://). When I hit next, I get the following message:

Error
Not Found: The page being requested does not exist on the Server

If I look at windows explorer, the following shows up as my Z drive---DavWWWRoot (\\xxx.xxx.x.xxx@8080) (Z:). The "@" sign replaced the ":" shown on my device. Is that a concern?
brewdude

Postby HermanD » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Question for Curtterp

I have a small TPLINK nano Router. ModelNo:TL-WR702N
For connecting my laptop and Samsung Gal III mini for syncing HanDbase, what working mode
must the TPLINK be configured? There is no internet connection available where I want to use
this.

-AP
-Router
-Repeater
-Bridge
-Client
? You understand I am not familiair with this stuff

Regards
HermanD
HermanD

Postby BP-E-NL » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 am

On my Nexus 4 works like charm.

2nd nice thing is that i now can approach my Phone from Free commander Super. TXS
BP-E-NL

Postby curtterp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 am

brewdude wrote:I now make it to step three of the new user setup. I correctly entered the address shown on my android device (yes, I included the http://). When I hit next, I get the following message:

Error
Not Found: The page being requested does not exist on the Server

If I look at windows explorer, the following shows up as my Z drive---DavWWWRoot (\\xxx.xxx.x.xxx@8080) (Z:). The "@" sign replaced the ":" shown on my device. Is that a concern?

Goodness, I don't remember seeing this post.....

Sounds like you are trying to use DavRoot and the HanDBase internal wireless at the same time. I think you would have a problem with that.

I am pretty certain that you need to either use one or the other. If you want to use the DavWWWRoot then the HanDBase setup should be using usb.

But I would right click on the Z drive and choose "Disconnect"

Then set up the partnership with the WiFi sync. You need to make sure that you put the :8080 after the address....
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:02 am

HermanD wrote:Question for Curtterp

I have a small TPLINK nano Router. ModelNo:TL-WR702N
For connecting my laptop and Samsung Gal III mini for syncing HanDbase, what working mode
must the TPLINK be configured? There is no internet connection available where I want to use
this.

-AP
-Router
-Repeater
-Bridge
-Client
? You understand I am not familiair with this stuff

Regards
HermanD

Herman,

I am sorry I missed this post when you posted it. Thank you for the PM showing me that I missed something. Please accept my apologies for this oversight.

I did a little research on your router. Nice little setup. I did find the setup for this located here.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=396

It is the setup for a router configuration, with DHCP. Follow the directions carefully.

In step 4, it talks about ISP (Internet Service Provider) information. You can skip this step if you want because you are not using it to connect to the internet, you are just looking to setup your own little network for syncing.

in step 5, at the end it talks about hooking up the device to an internet modem. Please skip this too.

Make sure that you also do the finalizing steps.(putting your computer back into DHCP mode). Very important you do this.

Another suggestion for added security, on page 37 of the user guide it talks about MAC Filtering. If you don't have your user guide, you can download it here http://www.tp-link.com/resources/docume ... 191001.pdf

The MAC (Media Access Control) can be used to keep other people from connecting to your router. Some people go around and look for WiFi signals, then try to break into the WiFi to gain access to a network. By filtering the MAC access to only the MAC address's that you want to allow you to connect (your phone and laptop), you have added security. I have two routers in my house connected to the Internet (one on each end of the house) to insure that I have good WiFi coverage in the house no matter where you are. They both have MAC filtering to keep other people out).

Here are the instructions for finding the MAC address to your phone and computer. Do these instructions after you setup the router configuration on the TPLink, and you have redone the finalize steps on the computer and rebooted.

Computer
  • Click the start button
  • in the cmd (or run) box, type "cmd" (no Quotes)
  • in the black popup box, type "ipconfig /all" (No Quote, there is a space between ipconfig and /
  • Look for the wireless adapter. You might have to scroll up or down, but there will be a lot of information on gateway, DNS servers etc. Look for the MAC address there. Record the address
  • Input the address into the TPLink as shown in page 37-38.

Phone
  • Go into settings (swipe down the notification bar, then press the settings button on the top right corner
  • Press Settings
  • Scroll down and press on "About phone"
  • Press Status
  • Scroll down and look for Wi-Fi MAC address. Record the number
  • Input the address into the TPLink as shown in page 37-38

The address will look like this "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" where the 'x' will be a-f, 0-9. Important to make sure that you have the colons in there when you input the address in the TPLink.

This is your workflow when out in the field.
  • hook up the TPLink to power, give it a couple of minutes to settle down
  • Turn on your laptop (or reboot if you leave it in suspend mode)
  • Turn on WiFi if you have it off
  • When you see the indicator in the bottom right hand corner (systray), hover over it to make sure that you are connected to your TPLink (you should see the SSID that you changed it too in step 3 of the configuration of TPLink). If you don't see that name, but see a different name, click once on the icon. That will bring up a list of wifi connections in range. Click once on the SSID name that you assigned, then click the connect button to connect to the TPLink. Wait for it to connect. When you hover over it, it will say "No Internet Access" which is fine, because you know that you are not connected to the internet.
  • Turn the phones WiFi on. When you see the connection turn blue in the notification bar, pull down the notification bar and press settings. Look for the WiFi symbol. The SSID will be shown below the symbol. If is not the SSID that you assigned to your TPLink, press wireless icon. Now you will see a list of the WiFi networks that are in range. Press on the SSID of the TPLink and press connect. Wait for the blue WiFi symbol again, and bring down the notification bar, and press settings to make sure that your connected to your TPLink
  • Now bring up HanDBase on your phone. Start the webserver (two arrows chasing each other in a circle). Now on the laptop, bring up HanDBase desktop and start the Android sync. Select your phone in user select, put in the address that is shown on the phone (make sure that you have http: in front and the :8080 behind the IP address). Start the sync.

A couple of items to remember. The IP address on the phone will be different when you use your TPLink. That is expected behavior (when you access different routers, the IP will change).

I would test the setup at home before you NEED to use it. That way you can be comfortable with how the workflow is and you will be comfortable in using the TPLink.

Once you go through the Inital setup on the TPLink, you should have not have to change it again, unless you reset the router.

If you have any other questions, or run into any problems, please post them.

I apologize for not seeing this request earlier. I usually keep up with what is happening on the boards, and definitely answer people when they ask me a direct question. I still cannot figure out how I missed this. When I see a post directed to me, if I don't have the time to address it right away, I would answer it letting you know that I have seen it, but need a little research before I can answer it intelligently.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby cenzer » Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Failed with Errors to sync with WebDAV:

Manufacturer of Phone/Tablet = Samsung
Model of Phone/Tablet = Galaxy S3
Version of Android = 4.3
Version of Windows = WIN8.1 64 Bit

Error:

Access violation at address 0049F37B
'AndroidSync.exe'. Read of address 00610000.

What is my next step?
Thank you.

Charles
cenzer

Postby curtterp » Mon May 05, 2014 10:29 pm

I would restart the Windows computer.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android