External field definition

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

External field definition

Postby briantho » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi - on my iPhone I can apparently define an "External" field to combine the contents of various fields e.g., all individually defined address lines (six of them) to make up one block of text. However, in the Windows Desktop version of Handbase (Version 4.1.5d) that I have it seems "External" fields are different. In the Desktop version it asks for an "Application Name" and the "Configure" button mentions plugins? I've no problem with paying for something additional - what might it be, please? Maybe I don't have the latest version of the Desktop software?

My objectives in doing this are:

a) to make a 'block' from address text lines that could be used in applications without having to assemble such a thing in those other applications and
b) copy this block within my iPhone into the "Street Viewer" app or "Google Earth" so I can see where I'm going or what the neighbourhood's like.

However, although I see Separators like comma, Space, Dash etc., I don't see something like Carriage Return/Line Feed as a Separator which I could use between my address lines so maybe this is whole thing is a non-starter?

By the way, can I use "External" to combine six fields?

Wild idea: having stated what my goals are maybe there is:
a) another field type I should be looking at to concatenate these individual fields together (coming from Visual Basic/FoxPro I initially thought of "Calculated" but no, it seems "Calculated" isn't for that...) and
b) another way of using my info to show a place on a map.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
briantho

Return to HanDBase for Windows