Name comes out as long number

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Name comes out as long number

Postby grputnam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:34 pm

I have a data base that I export to an excel spreadsheet. All data transfers correctly except the last name of the person, it comes out as a number (for example "1784, 706462620598c354, 7035338, 22757"). The first name, date and written information comes out fine. I have another data base that exports fine. The last name is a "linked" field and the first name is a Relationship field if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Re: Name comes out as long number

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your post. The Linked field is actually stored as the number you see. That's what ties it back to the link field in the master database. It's a strange field as it never displays this to the user, instead it shows a field from the other database. But this is the value that is needed to keep our relationship intact and hence why we export that. That said, we do have a preference to switch from exporting the numeric value to the 'Show value' in the desktop.

Go to Configure|Preferences
At the bottom is a choice labeled 'when exporting Linked fields' and choose the 'Value from SHOW VALUE' of Link field.

This will switch how it is exported, but honestly it may only apply to the CSV export. If you switch this and see that there is no change, try exporting to CSV and opening that in Excel instead. That should do the trick!
dhaupert

Re: Name comes out as long number

Postby grputnam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:31 pm

It worked even downloading into Excel.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Return to HanDBase for Windows