Problem with Quick Search using barcode

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Problem with Quick Search using barcode

Postby ccliu169 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 am

I tried to do a search by scanning the barcode (QR code) in the Quick Search Field, but after I scan the barcode, it won't search the correct record, look like it didn't start searching. If I type-in the value of barcode in the Quick Search Field, it can search the record correctly. The Quick Search works perfectly before I update the iOS to the newest version (6.1.3) (I use Ipod). Does anyone have this problem also?
ccliu169

Re: Problem with Quick Search using barcode

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post. This is a good find as it is indeed a bug. It seems that the event of pasting that scanned code in there is no longer registering a change in the text box like it used to in prior OS versions. I will have to look into and address this issue for the next release which I'm working on now.. (for iOS7 support).

In the meantime, try tapping the backspace button on the keyboard after scanning. It should then register a change as the last character is deleted, and chances are that you don't have more than one barcode with the same digits besides the last. If you do happen to see more than 1 match, try pressing space and then backspace to avoid this.
dhaupert

Postby cindy313 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:33 am

ccliu169 wrote:I tried to do a search by scanning the barcode (QR code) in the Quick Search Field, but after I scan the barcode, it won't search the correct record, look like it didn't start searching. If I type-in the value of barcode in the Quick Search Field, it can search the record correctly. The Quick Search works perfectly before I update the iOS to the newest version (6.1.3) (I use Ipod). Does anyone have this problem also?

i never met such a question about quick search using barcode till i saw this thread,but i think i can resolve it after seeing the solution above if i meet this .thanx
cindy313

Postby chbaines » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Any update on this? .. I just tried it with a inventory lookup and it did the same thing. (ios 7.1.2 and Handbase 4.9.05)

It scans in the barcode just fine but doesn't find anything until to fiddle with the number, or space/backspace
chbaines

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm

My apologies, this one slipped through the cracks (ie, I forgot to put it on my todo list! I will fix it for the next update, which will come out in early September..

Sorry again!
dhaupert

Postby chbaines » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

Cool.. could I suggest the following speed ups for quick(er) searching with barcode scan..

1. as soon as you choose 'scan' from the quick search, go ahead and call it, don't force the user to hit a 'scan' button again
2. as soon as the scan is made go ahead and 'select' it and update the find field

This would eliminate two 'taps' from the process .. thanks!
chbaines

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 am

chbaines wrote:Cool.. could I suggest the following speed ups for quick(er) searching with barcode scan..

1. as soon as you choose 'scan' from the quick search, go ahead and call it, don't force the user to hit a 'scan' button again
2. as soon as the scan is made go ahead and 'select' it and update the find field

This would eliminate two 'taps' from the process .. thanks!

Hi,

I wish I could do it that way- there was a reason for the switch, the camera function sends a low memory situation event to the app and the view that called it must clear up all of it's memory if it uses a lot. As you can imagine, the list view does use a lot of memory and clearing it up can only be done by closing up the database and such, which is not practical. The separate screen was my workaround for that- now the screen with the view has pretty much no memory and can be easily cleared. Unfortunately it does mean extra taps though as you pointed out- hopefully I can revisit this in the future as devices get more RAM to work with!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch