Moving individule data

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Moving individule data

Postby grputnam » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 am

I have a data base with a number of patients listed. They are my current patient list. When the patient leaves I would like to move their information to another data base. I thought I was able to do that earlier but it does not seem to be possible. I can only find moving all of the data base to another data base.
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Re: Moving individule data

Postby dhaupert » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your post. There is a Move records feature where you can move all records within the filter range to another database. There is also a move record feature where you can copy a single record- that comes up in the same action menu when you are editing a record since that's the only time it applies.

One thing to be aware of with moving and copying records. Right now the program always regenerates any unique record IDs for the record when it moves or copies a record. This is to prevent the chance of a duplicate record with the same ID. Since Link/Linked fields use these record IDs to keep themselves connected, the changed ID means if you moved or copied over a parent record (one with a link) and then a few child records (one with linked fields), you'd wind up with them no longer being connected. This can be a serious limitation and some day I have to figure out how to keep them connected without the chance of IDs that overlap. It would likely require a change in how the link and linked fields work so I can't fix this in a minor version update.

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows