HanDBase Forms coming to Android!

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HanDBase Forms coming to Android!

Postby curtterp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:33 pm

You would be surprised at supposedly tech savvy people get glassy-eyed at the mention of a database.

Case in point: I went from one retail computer shop to another, smaller shop, better owners, much better situation. During the first week, the office manager/girl friday of the owner was showing me the different procedures that they had in place, including notebooks centrally located within the shop that contained important information. One notebook for orders, one for incoming/outgoing shipping, computer check in/out, and others. In all, there were 9 notebooks that you had to go look at to get information. If they caught you not putting the notebook back, girl friday would let you know in no uncertain terms.

When I found out that we actually had a full blown copy of Filemaker Pro Server ( we actually weren't using it, the owner bought the copy to install on our Mac Server so we had something to look at) I setup a full database using the notebooks as template, and added an invoicing system for our in house service work (which I was in charge of, but I was not the service manager). I set this up during my down time.

When I showed this to the owner and girl friday, she was not impressed. I talked about how inefficient it was to have to go look at the physical notebooks, when this information was just a click away on our desktop machines. But girl friday was adamant, we were not to use the databases. I just used the invoicing system and trained the other tech's on how to use that. I talked with someone there 5 years after they laid me off, and they were still using the invoice system, and still using the damn notebooks. They all knew how to use computers, they did a lot of orders online (which was still very new at that time), but would not use a database that I built just because they all felt like the notebooks was a better use of their time.

Just goes to show you, too many people that can use technology, do not use technology to the fullest impact in their lives.

One thing that I was told by one of my first programming professors that has been reinforced by other instructors and still sticks with my today. If you want to work with figures, use a spreadsheet. If you want to work with information, use a database.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby wauckl » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 am

You would be surprised at supposedly tech savvy people get glassy-eyed at the mention of a database.

Five thumbs up on that! Until I recently retired, I worked for a federal agency that conducted both audits and investigations (no, not the IRS). Investigations frequently involved analysis of largish volumes of data. We had available to us MS Access, but out of the entire agency only I and a couple other guys in my office plus one super-geek in San Francisco made good use of it (despite our many efforts to persuade others that it could allow them to work so much better). The alternatives that people would use with spreadsheets were appalling in their lack of efficiency and capability. And even spreadsheets -- most people use them as they would a paper spreadsheet! When I discovered HandBase for the Palm way back, I was delighted.
wauckl

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:29 am

The question I ponder often is why do people have a bias against using a database- is it due to fear of being overwhelmed? Is the word 'database' standoffish to some and is there a perhaps better word to offer them? Years ago, when DDH Software was a larger company we had someone research this and conclude that 'Lists' was better than 'Database' to the mainstream person. And we tried marketing HanDBase as a list manager for a short while. The problem there is that we're not really the most optimized list designer- if we were, I'd be able to provide a much quicker way to set up a list since most lists have maybe 2-3 fields max and could be configured via a single screen. That said, once the list is set up, we're a great list manager!

In the early days of HanDBase I used the term 'applet' to describe a HanDBase database, with the idea that an applet was like a mini application and that our databases replaced many applications so.. But that term has kind of come and gone in terms of being en vogue and we've moved away from that.

What's interesting is if I tell people I write Apps for Android and iOS, they always seem excited. Then they say what apps and when I tell them they look disappointed! Guess they were hoping I wrote Angry Birds ;)

Still looking to crack that code, but it's good to see that I'm not the only one that sees this kind of response often!
dhaupert

Postby valiants » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:53 pm

The biggest difficulty I have with databases is getting into it for the first time, finding my way around, setting up the skeleton framework
They are not very self explanitory
1/ there has to be a database in the first place, before you can even begin to get the slightest value out off it
2/to get the data base in the first place you have middle level off understanding to make it. You also have to understand the idividual program too
3/to get an idea of the general concept you want, you often need to use somthing like an spreadsheet/notepad to start with too get a layout, type of info, sizing etc, because of the spread sheets ituitive design. With a spreed sheet you are starting with somthing small and building up to a more comprehensive larger useful thing, as apposed to starting with the half of the full blown thing at the very begining) Also staring with the competition(spreadsheets) from the start is not a good cocept bussiness wise, but it is often a necassary evil to get the database started and up and running

The answer some would think is to have premade or sample or ones other people have made that are in the same line of what you want( I pesonally have not found this to be overly helpfullIts not induvidual enough and you are "building on another mans foundation" which has a low chance50/50max of working out good )
Another answer is to do Tutorials( this has helped me a lot)
Another answer I think may be worth looking into is, having a database that is a tutorial database. You open it up and it has the information on the forms to make it bigger and while your making it bigger learn how to use it.Instead of starting with a PDF/word/Excel etc, start with the database
Also I think some dumbed down versions that you could use for a start would be helpful to getting your head around and navigating through all the things there are in there, especially in the case of Access
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby Benji » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Having worked with Handbase for several years and designing bunches of databases, setting the goal and flow made design and implementation much easier.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
Benji

Postby AussieExpat » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:43 am

This recent chatter has been "interesting" but, to return to the thread topic: WHEN are forms coming to Android?
In July it was expected to take "3-6 months from April" -- that is, September
-- but it seems no nearer -- some "beta testing" maybe, but nowhere near "Market", with nothing substantive being said about it recently.
AussieExpat

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:56 am

Hi there,

Indeed the topic has taken a turn, but obviously if there were news on the forms design to report I'd be reporting it! The beta testing is ongoing and there's not much to say really. I have had to take a brief hiatus to prepare for iOS7 on the iPhone and iPad platforms so there is not much development.

I still hope for a release this month but it may fall into October as well depending on how well things go in this late stage.
dhaupert

Postby AussieExpat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:35 am

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Indeed the topic has taken a turn, but obviously if there were news on the forms design to report I'd be reporting it! The beta testing is ongoing and there's not much to say really. I have had to take a brief hiatus to prepare for iOS7 on the iPhone and iPad platforms so there is not much development.

I still hope for a release this month but it may fall into October as well depending on how well things go in this late stage.

For all intents and purposes, "the new iPad" has come and gone (well, sorta) as has October, so ....

??????
AussieExpat

Postby dhaupert » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:01 am

Hey,

I posted an update about a week ago on this:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3315

While it's not done yet, at least I'm doing better at keeping you all in the loop!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Android