New to Handbase and Databases...where to learn?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

New to Handbase and Databases...where to learn?

Postby jaskier2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 am

Hello everyone,

I recently volunteered to help with my college program's initiative to become paperless. I am in a community college medical program that currently had dozens
of paper forms that we take to our clinical sites to be evaluated by our instructors. We want to use handdbase as our db client and send the students to the clinic site with a tablet populated with our competency forms.
Since we have a small class size each year we will opt to e-mail the db to the program instructor and have a separate db for each student...Instead of the wifi sync...and one large db for all students.(We may merge them later on, but I am not sure what would bebest). I have an enthusiast level of computer experience(linux, perl, shell scripting) but have never worked with a database.

I have the windows client manual and some documentation on relational db's but I am looking for some more information to help me further.

Would appreciate comments or opinions, thanks in advance.
jaskier2

Re: New to Handbase and Databases...where to learn?

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your post and interest! I think you are already on the right track. You didn't mention what type of tablet your school was planning on using. Would it be Android, iPad, a mix of both, etc? With current release software, HanDBase for iPad has a leg up because we offer the forms designer and forms support for it. The Android version is in beta testing now and about a month from release. The forms you make would work on both and both offer the email database function so it really doesn't matter which you choose. Just want to get an idea of how I can best guide you.

Typically my suggestion to someone getting started is to follow a few tutorials so once I know what your tablet plans are I can offer you some direct next steps.
dhaupert

Postby jaskier2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

Currently the plan is for ipads. However, personally I feel that having students haul around ipads to and from the hospital might be a bad idea. Stuff happens things get lost or stolen. I will try to lobby for an android based tablet that is more cost effective. (Also, am I wrong in thinking that I could run an android emulation on my windows machine and quickly see the forms I prototype and decide faster than having to sync the dbs or e-mail them?)

Yes, I assumed that the created db and forms would work on both. I've been playing around with the windows client and there is a ton of functionality, which is great. I will give you an example of how handbase would help the program.

Currently when a student starts at a clinical site(teaching hospital) They need an orientation and in order to meet national criteria for the program all of this needs to be documented. I am starting with a equipment evaluation sheet(list of questions about the students proficiency with the equipment with spaces for YES NO or NA)For privacy reasons each student would have their own tablet and this specific form is generic so it wouldn't change. I believe this would keep the design of the db simple to start and later we could add more functionality.

The student needs to do this sheet for each room and on average there is 10 or so rooms per clinical site. With a class size of around 15 that is already 150 pages that need to be filed and shown *if* there's an audit by the accrediting agency.

There are a lot more forms that need to be completed, filed and the students need to keep track of them.

So paperless is the obvious path to go down and we were recommended handbase as the software package(by a certain president of a national student organization for its ease of use and price point). From what I can tell the choice is a perfect fit.

Now I just need to become familiar enough with databases and the program to get some things to show the program directors.

Thanks for the help.
jaskier2

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Hello,

Thanks for following up. We are super excited to learn that HanDBase has been recommended so highly.

Since you are going the route of the iPad, or are at least heavily leaning in that direction, and since you are working with an educational program, I encourage you to consider purchasing the education version of HanDBase for iPad via the iTunes App Store's education portal.

The primary benefit is that since many educational institutions do not like dealing with in app purchases, the forms designer is already activated in the package.

With it you can also see some sample education type databases and forms that range from attendance tracking to student handbooks to logging.

As you get started with HanDBase, please let us know if you have any questions. And, please feel free to get in touch with us via email at support @ ddhsoftware . com (minus the spaces)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby curtterp » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 am

The emulator is a part of the Android SDK (Software Development Kit). In order to prototype HanDBase and forms on it, there is a few hoops to jump through. Also, if you do not have a computer with a lot of horsepower and ram, it is pretty slow. I run a 6 core processor with 8gigs of ram, and the emulator take a couple of minutes to fire up. On my dual core laptop with only 4gigs of ram, it can take close to 5 minutes to fire up.

I have seen that there are a couple of other emulators out there, but I do not have experience with those, so I have no clue how well they work.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:02 am

Hi,

Lots of people chiming in to help- hope this doesn't get too overwhelming! Just wanted to add a few things:

1. iPad Minis are a good choice since the price differential is minimal between that a cheaper Android tablet. I wouldn't recommend one of the very cheap Android devices as often they don't have the Google Play store on them and sometimes are using non standard processors for which many apps will not run. That all said, the Google Nexus 7 at around 200.00 is a good minimum choice, and the iPad mini at around 320 is also a good option. You can certainly find deals for both of them!

2. I'd recommend going through the following tutorials to get up to speed:

Designing a simple database on iOS:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=353

Designing a simple set of forms on iOS:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=382

Though the forms don't yet exist for Android on shipping versions, you can design on the desktop and when they are available should run with just a minimum of tweaking for the screensize of your device.

Good luck!
dhaupert

Postby jaskier2 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I am back with some questions to ask and some updates to share.

A quick refresher: I am working on a project for my school which involves us moving to a paperless record keeping system from a paper system. Each student in the program has hundreds of pieces of paper to file and keep and a paperless solution is the next step and best option.

I have been working on the project for approx. the past month and have learned a lot and learned that there is a lot I still do not know.

I have made a simple attendance db to track time in/out/tardys/missed days etc.
Initially I made it unique to each student to see how a trial run would go. I quickly found out that I need to implement a system where I need to have a way to keep the data unique to each student while at the same time implement other databases to record additional data and assessments.

As I am typing this the request I have seems really basic but I am not sure how to execute the plan without becoming overwhelmed with all the options available to accomplish the goal.

Over the past month I have found it is easy to implement a db and make it do what I want with regards to a single task. i.e. time clock, student evaluations, clinic room assesments etc.

The hard part(for me) and I now feel the most important part is making it easy to keep track of each student and what they have accomplished without having 20 different dbs...with the same unique id(the students name) but all separate and cumbersome to view/run reports etc.

An example would be:

Student John Smith has to record a daily attendance log, a log of all clinical procedures either performed or assisted with, and many assessment forms that are evaluated by hospital staff. We would need to create a db with the ability to generate reports or view records with the appropriate data unique to each student.

I understand that this is the main purpose of a db but I am a total novice when it comes to database design, admin, etc. I greatly appreciate all the help/comments I receive.

Thank you very much.
jaskier2

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm

jaskier2 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am back with some questions to ask and some updates to share.

A quick refresher: I am working on a project for my school which involves us moving to a paperless record keeping system from a paper system. Each student in the program has hundreds of pieces of paper to file and keep and a paperless solution is the next step and best option.

I have been working on the project for approx. the past month and have learned a lot and learned that there is a lot I still do not know.

I have made a simple attendance db to track time in/out/tardys/missed days etc.
Initially I made it unique to each student to see how a trial run would go. I quickly found out that I need to implement a system where I need to have a way to keep the data unique to each student while at the same time implement other databases to record additional data and assessments.

As I am typing this the request I have seems really basic but I am not sure how to execute the plan without becoming overwhelmed with all the options available to accomplish the goal.

Over the past month I have found it is easy to implement a db and make it do what I want with regards to a single task. i.e. time clock, student evaluations, clinic room assesments etc.

The hard part(for me) and I now feel the most important part is making it easy to keep track of each student and what they have accomplished without having 20 different dbs...with the same unique id(the students name) but all separate and cumbersome to view/run reports etc.

An example would be:

Student John Smith has to record a daily attendance log, a log of all clinical procedures either performed or assisted with, and many assessment forms that are evaluated by hospital staff. We would need to create a db with the ability to generate reports or view records with the appropriate data unique to each student.

I understand that this is the main purpose of a db but I am a total novice when it comes to database design, admin, etc. I greatly appreciate all the help/comments I receive.

Thank you very much.

Hello,

Thanks for posting. I built a sample database system for our education version of HanDBase. If you are interested, I can send you copies of these databases so that you can use them as the basis of your database setup.

Drop me an email at support @ ddhsoftware . com if you are interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows