Defaulting format of date presentation other than MM/DD/YYYY

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Defaulting format of date presentation other than MM/DD/

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Since dates are never entered as text in HanDBase, I didn't see any issues with formatting- it's hard to select the word November and mistake it for day 11 of the month, for example! But going the other way- copying values manually to another system or document I can see there being a problem.

I'll definitely add this to the todo list!
dhaupert

Postby paulori » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 am

Re the date format deriving from the default device settings: my iPhone settings are set for Canada but my dates in HandBase still show up as MM/DD/YYYY instead of the Canadian DD/MM/YYYY. And this seems to play havoc with sorting as my the specific databases I use the date for I sort the most recent to the top but, as the sort appears to be reading from the month and not the day, the sort is incorrect.

As an aside: In the medical field we use YYYY/MM/DD a lot to try and avoid sometimes critical ambiguity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
paulori

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 am

Hi there,

Can you clarify what type of field you have set for these date fields? If it's a date field we don't use the format to determine sorting- date fields are stored internally as the number of days since 1/1/1904 and it doesn't matter how it's formatted but the date field should always sort correctly. Please double check and let me know!
dhaupert

Postby parishdm@att.net » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:49 pm

I dearly need ISO 8166 date format YYYY-MM-DD to comply with standards of other databases with which I exchange data. It is very frustrating to not be able to discertain whether a date is MM-DD or DD-MM in sending data internationally. Please consider having an option for ISO 8166 dates in HanDBase.

Thanks,
Dale
parishdm@att.net

Postby Mountainiron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 am

YYMMDD My 2 cents.

This naming convention is used internationally in any scientific sorting including Photos.
The advantage is your file, data, image, will always be easy to sort in any database.
Mountainiron

Postby jmerichards » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Folks,

I'm a big fan of YYYY-MM-DD format also, when it comes to capturing data from users in an environment where digits must be entered. It certainly puts an end to any ambiguity.

However, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand the point of this kind of change for HanDbase on the iPhone, where dates are captured by presenting the user with the numerical day and year values and the text name of the month. As the date value is then stored as a number, surely this makes discussion about the actual format, which is really only for display purposes, redundant?

Am I missing something?
jmerichards

Postby uboche » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:09 am

In HanDBase for Windows I can choose the date format I want. Usually, I use the German format (DD.MM.YYYY), but I can select "YY-MM-DD" and the outcome can be seen in the attached picture.

On my iPad, the date format that is displayed in HanDBase is determined by the country settings of the iPad and I don't think there is a way to select a different format in HanDBase, you would need to change that in the iPad options universally.
Attachments
HanDBase_date.jpg
HanDBase_date.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby b2b » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Am I missing something here. My iPOD Touch only shows the following format of a date field: MM/DD/YY It does not show MM/DD/YYYY, yet the time field shows all the typical digits. i.e., HH:MM:SS

It shows the above format in both the List View and in the form.
b2b

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:47 am

HanDBase follows the format specified in the regional settings of the phone. For example, if you have the phone's regional settings configured for the United States, you will have a date formatting of mm/dd/yyyy. The only way to change the formatting at this time is to change the regional settings of the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby parishdm@att.net » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:36 pm

I would like to cast my vote for using the ISO8601 date format-- YYYY-MM-DD. This eliminates a lot of confusion and frustration. My iPhone won't let me change to such a format, whereas my Mac and PCs do. It would be good to have one date format across all the platforms with which I share HanDBase files.

Dale
parishdm@att.net

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch