How many desktops

This forum is for application developers who are integrating HanDBase into their solutions via the HanDBase API (HAPI) or other means. It's also a great place to discuss runtime development.

How many desktops

Postby handbase@avisys.net » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:40 pm

OK, maybe I'm naive. I'll put that in caps --- MAYBE I'M NAIVE! After all, I focus on windows applications, and want to know everything I need to know about iPhone and Adroid apps to integrate them with my software as data entry modules, and ONLY that much --- like I did with Palm for so many years.

I originally installed HanDBase Desktop for iPhone (actually iPod as the least common denominator to see how my customers could handle it) some months ago. And the desktop functions seemed to work. Now, ready to go ahead, I get a Samsung Galaxy III and install it. Then, just the other day, I installed the HanDBase Plus Desktop for Android.

Now the ONLY HanDBase Plus Desktop left on my system is that (apparently) for Android.

Is there really more than one HanDBase Plus (Desktop), one for each environment (Andriod and iPhone)?

If so, should they reside differently on the Windows system? Identifiably so? If so, why does one wipe put the other? Or does it?

I care little about myself, but I care about what I need to tell my customers to buy. Quite surely, I'll have some number of customers who have two devices, couples actually, who have separate data sets in my software. They will want to do data entry separately. USUALLY they will have the same kind of device, and I can see how that would work. (I had many such couples using Palm devices.) HOWEVER, certainly, there will be couples who each have a different kind of device, one Apple, the other Android. I need to know how to handle that unAmerican kind of couple.

Can you give me any kind of illumination? And don't hesitate to tell me I'm naive or ignorant --- I don't care as long as I can get the job done reliably and robustly.

Am I making any sense here?

Thanks,

Jerry
handbase@avisys.net

Re: How many desktops

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Not naive at all- great question actually. HanDBase packages are installed on top of each other, but there are some registry settings to account for all of the packages installed and the registration codes determine which components and features are active. Try this- go to the Help About screen and you'll see a list of installed packages. This should show that both plus versions are installed for you, correct?
dhaupert

Re: How many desktops

Postby handbase@avisys.net » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Right. Got it.

I should have thought about it a little more deeply. Cripes! That's the way I would have done it (if I had a brain in my head).

Thanks,

Jerry
handbase@avisys.net

Return to HanDBase - Developers