Exception Errors

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Exception Errors

Postby b2b » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 am

I've been getting a lot of Exception Errors, typically while in the Windows Form app when creating and/or updating some of my forms. It seems to happen a lot when I try and add a new Entry Field or a Text Label to one of my forms. Also, when I click on the Text Label and then position the mouse pointer on the form to place it, the label jumps out of site as though it wants to hide behind another field or label.

Am I missing any updates or any new or latest releases to HandBase for Windows?

When I look at the Help About it shows that I have HanDBase Desktop Version 4.7.5
But in the Installed Packages section on the Help About window is says I have: HanDBase Professional Add-on 4.6.1 Build R1

Why the difference, i.e. Version 4.7.5 and Add-on 4.6.1 Build R1???

Bob
b2b

Re: Exception Errors

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:24 am

Hello Bob,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to read about the troubles you have been experiencing. Do you find that you experience these with one database/form in particular or do you get the errors with any database/form you choose to work with? Also, is there a specific sequence of steps that you can use to reproduce these problems? I ask because I spend a fair amount of time in the forms designer and have not encountered these problems.

Regarding the version numbers, the package numbers and individual components can differ. You can always find the latest version available for download from your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby b2b » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks for the response Brian. I too am pretty experienced with the forms designer. Although I have been away from it for awhile. Most of my early designs, from simple to more robust forms was done a couple of years ago and this was when I had a Windows XP desktop. And at that time I never experienced this type of problem. I am now using a laptop running Windows 7. As far as which forms, It doesn't seem to make any difference which forms I'm working with.

To be a little more specific it seems to happen more so when i click to add a new field control and then click over on the form to place the control. If I'm not careful and click the mouse to place it and I'm too close to a field already on the form the new one disappears, like I'd never placed it on the form in the first place. It's as though the newest control is hidden behind the field already there. I can't say this for sure, but this is usually when I seem to get the exception error, although the error doesn't always happen. It's like I've doubled up a couple of fields but you can't really see them, i.e., one on top of the other. I can't seem to split them apart after this has happened. The work around is to just delete the field or fields, that seem like there one on top of the other, save the form at that point then reopen it and start over, being careful not to place the newer field close to another. After I've placed it then I can fine tune the placement using the cursor keys and/or by manually setting the position with the layout tab on the Detail form.

In any case, just wanted to see if it was just me having this problem or if it's happened to others.
b2b

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for the additional information. I am going to spend some time with the forms designer to see if I can duplicate this behavior. Assuming that it is possible, we'll log a bug and see what can be done to address the issue.

I'll report back later this weekend with my findings!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby lakey » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi,
I've been having the same problem recently. Working on a form with 80+ controls. In addition to frequent exceptions, I am also having difficulty adding new controls to the form and getting them to stay in place. Often I add a control and then move to the next control (whether adding or just re-locating it) and the first control moves. I understand there is an absolute limit of 100 controls per form. Over the time I have worked on this form, I have created and then deleted some controls. Would that process have permanently used some of the 100 controls available. At this point I am at a standstill as I can't get the changes I want to make to my form to stick.

Larry
lakey

Postby BHousset » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi
I have the same problems when working with Forms with the new version of the desktop program. I finally decided to design new forms on my iPad where the program has clearly more stability.
Regards

Bruno

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
BHousset

Postby BHousset » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Some news about the form program in Handbase desktop program ?

"Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk"
BHousset

Return to HanDBase for Windows