Permissions issue with Windows/Android Pro

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Permissions issue with Windows/Android Pro

Postby mjhanna » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Problem
I purchased the Desktop Professional for Android/Windows some time ago, but have not tried to use Forms until now that the Android Forms version is available. I found that I could not access the Forms program from the main HanDBase program when logged in with my normal limited-privileges WinXP user account. However, I can select and run the "hbforms.exe" program directly from its installed folder using that account.

I had up to now been running the Synchronize program "Android/AndroidSync.exe" directly as a separate program from the Start menu, which works fine from my normal account. But I now also note that when I select "Configure/Sync for Android users" I get the error message "Unable to launch HanDBase Android Sync and User Settings. Perhaps the HanDBase for Android Add-on conduit is not installed?"

Yet both Sync and Forms work fine from within the main HanDBase program if logged in as Administrator.

Background and Details
I installed HanDBase with my Administrator account in a specified Shared Documents folder. If I login as Administrator and run HanDBase I can directly access the Forms Addon. Selecting "Help/About" shows that the "Pro" addon is a recognized Installed Package.

I ran HanDBase (the same .exe in the same folder as the Administrator account uses) from my normal account. As mentioned above, "Configure/Sync for Android users" produces an error. "Edit Database Properties/Forms" simply showed the page indicating that this feature was an Addon. Further, "Help/About" does NOT show that the "Pro" addon is a recognized Installed Package. This normal account has full permissions to the folder and files where the HanDBase programs reside.

Often such permissions errors are caused by needing to set Registry values enabling those permissions which may require Admin privileges. As a test, while logged in as my normal account, I right-clicked "Run As" for HanDBase, and ran one time as Administrator. That allowed me to access the Forms Addon and Sync from within the program. Further, "Help/About" showed the "Pro" addon as a recognized Installed Package.

Interestingly following that Admin "Run As", rerunning the program simply as the normal user allows direct access to the Forms addon. However, it still does not allow access to Sync, and still fails to show the Pro addon as an Installed package.

Request
While I can run both Sync and Forms in my normal account by directly executing their separate ".exe" files, I would prefer to run them from within the main program. Any suggestions?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Re: Permissions issue with Windows/Android Pro

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm

You are right on - this is a permissions issue where HanDBase has to read from the registry. We do apologize for this issue!

At some point in the future, we hope to figure out a better way of handling this data so that the registry does not have to be addressed.

Until then HanDBase works best from an Admin account. Otherwise if, as you did, you set the relevant parts to run as Administrator, they will function properly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mjhanna » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, Brian.

I am quite proficient with the Registry and setting Registry entries. (Not something I would suggest most people try.)

Could you identify the Registry keys and values which are used/needed? I would have no problem setting them as needed manually. (Obviously at my own risk.)
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:39 am

Hi,

Everything you need is at HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/DDH Software HanDBase will read what it needs from the nodes in this branch.

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby mjhanna » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you, Brian.

That gave me the pointers to figure out everything that I needed to change in HKEY_USERS. I have made all the necessary changes and everything now works properly in my normal user account.
Michael
mjhanna

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 am

Excellent

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows