Getting Exception Errors in Forms Designer

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Getting Exception Errors in Forms Designer

Postby b2b » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 am

After working in forms designer for a half-hour or so, I started getting the following exception errors:

A window popped up Titled "HanDBase Forms Designer" showing a large red X with "EAccessViolation"
This has happened two or three times.

I'll also get a big red X with "Access violation at address 004E0D04 in module 'hbforms.exe!Read of address 00000010"
Then when I hit the OK button on this error I get a big red X with "External exception C000001D"

When I exited out of HanDBase after these errors, I tried going into Google Chrome to come on this forum to enter this topic but Chrome was acting up also. I rebooted the computer and all was well with HanDBase, at least until it happened again, and as long as I went straight to Chrome after a reboot it works fine.

Any thoughts, I'm not sure if it's HanDBase Forms messing up or something else going haywire in my laptop. Although, everything else, apps, programs, etc. other then HanDBase seems to work okay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I MUST BE GETTING OLD, I just realized I posted on this problem previously. And Brian you responded. I did try and download the latest Desktop, but I'm not sure if I didn't already have the latest Windows Desktop version.

Is there a newer Desktop out? Just last week I purchased an Apple iPOD Touch and then purchased the HanDBase for iPOD. So I downloaded what I assumed was the latest version of the Windows Desktop, but it seems to be exactly the same as the one I had.

Anyway, hopefully I can get this problem settled.

Bob
b2b

Re: Getting Exception Errors in Forms Designer

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:25 am

Hi there,

Thanks for posting this. Based on what you are describing, it sounds like a memory related issue is occurring with HanDBase Forms. When you are working with the forms, does the crash always happen after a specific duration of time, or is it more after you perform a particular sequence of actions? If the latter, can you describe what you do prior to the crash?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby b2b » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks for getting back to me Brian... Without having timed it I'd say it seems to happen after some time has occurred. But... can't be definite, and I'm thinking it might also be memory issues. However, regarding the time thing, after it starts acting up and forces me to stop, reboot, and then get back into the forms designer again, it works fine for awhile, then does it again.

When I say I think it might be memory issues, I'm working on a pretty large form design. There are 12 forms, and I'm using 90 fields. There are no calculation's going on with any of the fields though. At this point it's just a flat file with no relationships, etc. I originally created this database and the forms on the Palm platform back in 2000 or 2001. It ran fine for years. I had an Windows XP desktop computer and a Palm TX handheld. Although I think at that time I only had 10 Forms rather then 12.

As far as the problem:
To be more specific, when things start acting up I'll be working on a form that has some or all of the Tab's in place on the form, and I'll be in the middle of placing or moving fields around on the form, and sometimes I'll notice one of the tabs has disappeared from it's place at the top of the form. Closer inspection shows the form is stuck behind one of the fields I'm trying to place on the form. As I move the field around, the Tab which can just slightly be seen behind the field, moves with the field. If I go back up to the spot where the missing Tab should be and if I click that empty spot then the Tab will show back up again. But, when I click on the field in question again, and start to move it, bingo the Tab disappears behind it again. Shortly after this happens is when it crashes and gives me the "exception errors".

Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but I completely uninstalled HanDBase from my laptop and after rebooting and starting back up re-installed HanDBase. It made no difference, same problem.

Another turn of events. Since it's been crashing so often on my laptop I decided I'd try designing the forms directly on my iPOD Touch. Which is a real pain when there's a lot of forms and a lot of Tabs, Fields, etc. but I wanted to see if things worked okay there. At first everything seemed fine, but just a few moments ago while placing the Tabs, and/or moving a field or two around on the screen, the iPOD crashed and re-booted itself.

I wonder if it would do any good to send you my .PDB and .HDF file so you could take a look at it? They're not large files, PDB is 50KB and the matching HDF is 102KB.

Let me know...

Bob
b2b

Postby VikingWarrior » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 am

I am getting these errors right after starting the forms designer.
Attachments
HandBase_Forms-Designer.png
HandBase_Forms-Designer.png (31.06 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
VikingWarrior

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for following up. If you could send me a copy of your database and forms file to support @ ddhsoftware . com along we will look into this issue.

When emailing please include a brief reminder of what I am to check for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby b2b » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:33 am

I will do so as soon as I get to a better internet provider. On the road now traveling in Motorhome.

By the way the user just above that posted the images are the exact same error I've been getting.

Bob

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
b2b

Return to HanDBase for Windows