can't delete bogus dbase name

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

can't delete bogus dbase name

Postby alchemist45 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:48 am

I have some names in my open dbase list that are bogus. The system refuses to delete the name, apparently because the file is not there or corrupt. How can I remove the bad name.

If this is not where this should be posted, please tell me where.

Thanks,

Alchemist45 :cry:
alchemist45

Re: can't delete bogus dbase name

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:12 pm

alchemist45 wrote:I have some names in my open dbase list that are bogus. The system refuses to delete the name, apparently because the file is not there or corrupt. How can I remove the bad name.

If this is not where this should be posted, please tell me where.

Thanks,

Alchemist45 :cry:

You're in the right place, but interestingly there is another discussion already going on about this:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40

Hope the solution works for you as well!
dhaupert

Postby alchemist45 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:22 pm

The link you left referred to bogus users, if I understood correctly. I have a dbase name that is bogus and cannot be removed from the list of dbases.

Can you tell me how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Alchemist45
alchemist45

Postby zooguy1492 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I have the problem of the same database name appearing twice in the database name list on my Windows Mobile device when I want to "Open" a database. They both seem to take me to the same database. I don't know how I did this or how to fix it.
zooguy1492

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:06 pm

alchemist45 wrote:The link you left referred to bogus users, if I understood correctly. I have a dbase name that is bogus and cannot be removed from the list of dbases.

Can you tell me how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Alchemist45

Sorry, misunderstood!

The list of databases shown is based on the files that are saved in the folders stored by the conduit. They are kept here for Window Mobile:
c:\program files\HanDBase4\ActiveSync\Username
Check this folder and see if you see any 'bogus' names. If it's not here, it's possibly stored in a subfolder within this folder section. We store databases that were synced from cards in subdirectories in this folder so if you did something like manually create a folder of temp entries in here, they'd be shown as well. The only ones we skip are backup and archive!

Let me know if that doesn't do it for you!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:07 pm

zooguy1492 wrote:I have the problem of the same database name appearing twice in the database name list on my Windows Mobile device when I want to "Open" a database. They both seem to take me to the same database. I don't know how I did this or how to fix it.

This could likely be the same thing mentioned above- a subfolder for a memory card with the database in it. If you can find it, you can move the file out of there and into the backup folder if you don't need it to show up!
dhaupert

Postby zooguy1492 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:21 pm

dhaupert wrote:
zooguy1492 wrote:I have the problem of the same database name appearing twice in the database name list on my Windows Mobile device when I want to "Open" a database. They both seem to take me to the same database. I don't know how I did this or how to fix it.

This could likely be the same thing mentioned above- a subfolder for a memory card with the database in it. If you can find it, you can move the file out of there and into the backup folder if you don't need it to show up!

In this folder, I see "archive", "backup", "install", "memorycardinstall", and "StorageCard_20081229_152...". Only "archive" and "backup" have files in it. Therefore, I don't think this is the answer.
zooguy1492

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 am

zooguy1492 wrote:
dhaupert wrote:

In this folder, I see "archive", "backup", "install", "memorycardinstall", and "StorageCard_20081229_152...". Only "archive" and "backup" have files in it. Therefore, I don't think this is the answer.

Can you tell me what files are shown in the main folder then? Should be a bunch of PDB files. Let me know the names of the files. You may prefer to email this to me directly. Ideally a screenshot of the open database screen would help as well, especially since we show the path of each file listed and it should be pretty obvious where the duplicate is residing!
dhaupert

Postby alchemist45 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:29 pm

David,

I have been poking about as you suggested. I haven't been able to fix the bogus references, but I think I know how it happened. I believe when I did a save as to create a copy of a database, I did not change the internal reference to the dbase name to match the filename. That gave me two different files with the same internal name, but different window filenames. If this is the problem, I am not sure how to correct it.

Can you make some suggestions?

Thanks,

posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=43#

Alchemist45
alchemist45

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:17 pm

alchemist45 wrote:David,

I have been poking about as you suggested. I haven't been able to fix the bogus references, but I think I know how it happened. I believe when I did a save as to create a copy of a database, I did not change the internal reference to the dbase name to match the filename. That gave me two different files with the same internal name, but different window filenames. If this is the problem, I am not sure how to correct it.

Can you make some suggestions?

Alchemist45

If this were the case, you'd see two discreet filenames listed next to the databases that are named in kind. For example, you may have something like this in the open database screen:

MyDB c:\program files\handbase4\activesync\dhaupert\mydb.pdb
MyDB c:\program files\handbase4\activesync\dhaupert\my_db.pdb

If that's the case, it should be easy to fix. Just open either of them and go to the DB Properties and change the name to something unique.
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional