Font size vs row height in list view

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Font size vs row height in list view

Postby khodadad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Sorry if this is addressed in another post, but I have been searching and haven't found one, although I think I have read something about it.
The row height seems to be fixed regardless of the font size I select in the preferences, so that the letter are simply cropped if I select a big font. The checkboxes doesn't seem to grow either, so If I select a large font size I got rows which letters are cramped together but with tiny checkboxes.
Am I doing something wrong or this is the expected behavior? (which is not only aesthetically unpleasant but also impractical).
I am also seen that the checkboxes and the text aren't aligned. The cheboxes seem to be at the row top and the text at the row bottom.
On the bright side, the header row height seems to be OK now.
I'm using a Samsung Note 3

Thanks for listening
khodadad

Re: Font size vs row height in list view

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:46 am

Hello,

Thanks for writing. Glad that the header size is working.

I am sorry that the issue with fonts being clipped is showing up for you. How large of a font are you using? And, are you making the adjustments to font size in HanDBase's preferences or in the phone's display settings?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby khodadad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:36 am

Both. The effects seem to be somehow cumulative.
See the screenshots. If you look closely you can also see the checkbox effect.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
khodadad

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:21 am

Thanks for the screenshot.

If possible, can you email me at support @ ddhsoftware . com for a test version?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby khodadad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:08 am

I have sent you the email.
khodadad

Postby khodadad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 am

Any news regarding this? The last updates solved nothing in this regard.
The checkboxes sizes are really annoying, I find myself opening the records rather than checking them half of the time.

Thanks in advance
khodadad

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am

Hi there,

I was never able to duplicate your problem- on my Nexus 7 the row height scales to match the font size just fine. I believe it may be related to an issue that keeps cropping up on Samsung GS4 devices that the font size that is drawn is larger than the one specified. Since the row size and font size are both linked, if the GS4 draws a larger size than the row size given, then you can see where the disconnect would be! I will check into this one further..

re: the checkbox issue, that's a puzzler as well. It's centered on my end, not drawn at the top edge. The checkbox is an image and does not scale to fit the size like the fonts, and that is not something I plan on changing right now- seems like a good change to make, but not top of the to do list by any means.
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 am

Hmmm... I am seeing something similar, but NOT in List View when I am not in a Form. I see a similar font issue in a List BOX within a Form. Do you really mean in List View?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby khodadad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 pm

mjhanna wrote:Hmmm... I am seeing something similar, but NOT in List View when I am not in a Form. I see a similar font issue in a List BOX within a Form. Do you really mean in List View?

Yes. See screenshots above.
khodadad

Postby khodadad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:48 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

I was never able to duplicate your problem- on my Nexus 7 the row height scales to match the font size just fine. I believe it may be related to an issue that keeps cropping up on Samsung GS4 devices that the font size that is drawn is larger than the one specified. Since the row size and font size are both linked, if the GS4 draws a larger size than the row size given, then you can see where the disconnect would be! I will check into this one further..

The row height scales, but not at the same rate as the font size. In this mixed screenshot I'm overlapping several copies of a 14 size title on a 40 size title. It amounts to approximately 3, which is right. You can also see that the row height is not growing as much (the bottom of the graphic is the exact base of the large row). I have used the title because it is not cropped, but the title and the row font size are the same, so it illustrates the effect well.

test.jpg
test.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 3742 times

So the problem is the row height, which doesn't scale at the same rate. May be related to pixel density or different scales between graphics and fonts?
re: the checkbox issue, that's a puzzler as well. It's centered on my end, not drawn at the top edge. The checkbox is an image and does not scale to fit the size like the fonts, and that is not something I plan on changing right now- seems like a good change to make, but not top of the to do list by any means.

Again seems related to some weird scaling of the row. It "moves": at size 19 it is centered, but as I change the size it goes from the top (smaller sizes) to the bottom (larger sizes)
Do you mean that if you solve the row height, the checkboxes are going to remain small? What about the hit area of the checkbox? It will also be small?
khodadad

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android