Startbutton for sync

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: Startbutton for sync

Postby Friedhelm Achenbach » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Hello Brian and all,

I agree, it would be sufficient to remember the last IP-address used (for my purposes). But to have no more than a click or doubleclickt to start sync process.
It is annoying enougt for German users that they have to change system language to English before syncing and back to German after sync, of DBs if float type fields are used, and additionally need to resize the sync window to full screen, because with a high res display (1920x1080) only part of the window is visible;-(

I'd very much appreciate this minor bugs to be corrected soon.

Greetings to all
Friedhelm

(I'm not an employe of DDH software but a HanDBase user since the first days this fabulous software).
Friedhelm Achenbach

Postby uboche » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Both my Windows 7 PC and my iPad have the system language set to German (DE) and I don't have to change any language option when syncing HanDBase.
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby Friedhelm Achenbach » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Correct, you don't need to change language, except you use float comma fields to be ODBC-exchanged with a MS-Access database. If among your several DBs there is only one that has a float comma field and is to be ODBC-synced with Access, you need English (US) as a system language to avoid mistakes. This has already been addressed in a previous post. Also maybe it works different/correct for iPad. This is/was a post for "HanDBase for Android".

Still no idea concerning my initial request for a one click start of sync? :(

Greetings
Friedhelm
Friedhelm Achenbach

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi there,

I don't plan on implementing a one button sync right now as I'm focused on a zero button sync! The cloud based sync option I'm working on for this year is going to be automatic and behind the scenes. For those who don't trust cloud services (for good reason it would seem based on the headlines this past year!) the existing solution will remain an option, but I honestly am not planning on changing the way it functions at this time.
dhaupert

Postby uboche » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:18 pm

The use of cloud services isn't an issue if you don't mind sharing your data with the NSA. But earnestly, the question of data safety can be a problem with cloud services that store all data on servers in the cloud without a rigid SLA on backup (and restore) services. Personally, I prefer cloud services such as Dropbox where I have a copy of the data on my PC at all times.

I don't see a problem with cloud sync if your process supports Dropbox.
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby valiants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Does anyone know of a remote desktop app to use that will activate the sync from the device ?
I tryed one but after initiating the sync from the device i went to remote desktop and tried to initiate the desktop sync and an error came up saying that the ip address may be unvalid or changed (in other words it could not find the device)
The remote desktop seems to foul up the wifi sync

I was hoping to somehow sync without going to the computer
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby mjhanna » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 pm

I am "guessing" that doing the remote desktop app at the same type as initializing the HanDBase sync app on the Android device will cause the two apps to conflict on that same IP address.

The only method I can think of is to do an old-fashioned FTP connection between the Android and the desktop. There are many Android FTP "client" apps which could connect to the desktop if it was constantly listening as an FTP server. You could then "push" or "pull" entire database files. That is not the same as sync because you are moving entire files, and would have to know both which way to push/pull the file and that changes were not made in both places between the last move.

However, if you are always making changes on the Android, this could be a simple way to perform a backup to the desktop "without going to the computer".

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby curtterp » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 pm

The problem is that after you open HanDBase, then go to the remote desktop software, HanDBase is now in the background and paused. This means that HanDBase is no longer 'listening' for a connection when it is paused, so no matter which remote desktop software you try, there is no way you can initiate a remote sync.

It is the nature of the Android OS.... nothing Dave can do about it.

One way to get around the limitation is to have a second device to run the remote desktop software so you can keep HanDBase in the foreground and listening for a sync connection.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby kronhead » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:24 am

valiants - I would use something like AutoHotKey on the PC to accomplish this. It's a scripting language that can drive windows applications - I am sure it could launch Handbase, then send the keystrokes to launch the sync process. The script would be running all the time - just an icon in the system tray - waiting for a trigger. The trigger could be the existence of a file in a particular directory - you could use something like Astro File Manager to connect to your LAN, and rename a file from, say, "sync.wait" to "sync.run" - the script waits for sync.run, renames it back to sync.wait, waits a minute so you can launch handbase on the phone, then initiates the sync.

If you have never done scripting, this might sound complicated. But it's pretty straight forward. The trick is to make it as bulletproof as possible Occasionally, you might need to use your remote desktop software to deal with any problems.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Dan
kronhead

Postby valiants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi Dan
Great idea
Got as far as bringing up the sync box with hot keys, not sure where to go from there
The way i see it is, You trigger the hot key with remote desktop opening, then go to handbase on the device and start the sync
The sync will need to be set up through the hot sync and then probably a time delay about 30 sec befor sync is started
this will give you time to start sync on the device first
If this works it should be about 5 taps on the device :?: :D
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android