HandBase Desktop Not Working

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

HandBase Desktop Not Working

Postby b2b » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 am

What would cause HandBase Desktop to flash on my Windows 7 Desktop but immediately disappear? When I click on the icon to load HandBase I see it flash open for just a half-second or less and then immediately disappear. It does show the HandBase icon in the Windows Task Bar, indicating it must be loaded. If I click on this icon, it selects it, but it still won't show
b2b

Re: HandBase Desktop Not Working

Postby curtterp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 am

Sometimes a program will load, but not show visible on the computer. I have this happen on other programs on my Windows 7 machine.

You can try one of two things...

• Open Task Manager->Process Tab and look for handbasedesktop.exe. Highlight it and click on End Process. If you see more than one, End process on each one that shows up
  • Restart your computer

That should work to allow HanDBase to open again. Sometimes only a restart will work.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby b2b » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info... Curt. Tried what you said, but made no difference. If HandBase is closed already, i.e., since booting Windows up, I haven't loaded it yet, it doesn't show up in the Task Manager/Running Applications/ or in the Processes. If I double-click and open (try anyway) HandBase shows up in the Applications Tab and the Process Tab just like it should. Likewise if I close HandBase by right-clicking the icon in the task bar and Close it, it does close okay, and shows this in the Task Manager, both the Application and Process Tabs.

It's just like it's running although I can't see it. So I'm not sure if it's a HandBase issue, or a Windows issue. Although all my other programs I have on my desktop work just fine. At least so far they do.
b2b

Postby b2b » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Disregard, and thanks Curt.

It was my dumb playing around that caused the problem. I was messing around experimenting with a second monitor and had opened HandBase and moved it over to
the other monitor. I made the mistake of closing it on the expanded (second monitor). Wasn't thinking about it when I closed it. Then when I got through with my
experiment and turned everything off, i.e., the second monitor, and returned my laptop back to it's normal state, guess what. HandBase was opening just not on this laptop's monitor, but off the screen in never-never-land.

In case anyone else ever messes around with multiple monitors keep this in mind, so you don't run into what I did.

Thanks again...

Bob
b2b

Postby curtterp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 pm

I have done the same thing at work (Multiple monitors when in the laptop dock)

Don't feel bad... it happens to everyone at least once,
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for Windows