Multiple syncs, forms & images

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Multiple syncs, forms & images

Postby MDE » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 am

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I can't quite find what I need in the FAQ or Forum.
I have been using HanDBase successfully for some time with the iPod and Windows desktop versions, using Forms on each. I am now the proud owner of an iPhone and iPad as well. The iPhone app is the same as the iPod, I think, and it installed automatically. I purchased the iPad app, which is different, but not the Forms for iPad yet (for reasons that will become apparent).
I have sync'd my iPod databases to the other 2 devices by saying "share with all iPhone users" in the sync settings for the iPod.
Taking the iPhone first, the data has sync'd fine, but not the images or forms. There are no images in the image library. It seems that Forms does not install automatically along with the app, even though I paid for it on the iPod. If I go to "Database properties - Forms" it says that it cannot connect to the store. How do I fix these problems please and also make sure that the iPhone automatically picks up the linked images?
Turning to the iPad, "Database properties - Forms" does bring up the in-app purchase as expected (it being a different app), but I have deferred doing this until I fix the iPhone problem. Also, assuming all is fixed, what is the best practice re forms design on the iPad - make it the same as the desktop (or even redesign the desktop forms) or just modify the iPod forms?
Thanks very much.
MDE

Re: Multiple syncs, forms & images

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post! To respond to your questions:

1. When you purchase an in app on one device on your iTunes account, it doesn't automatically reflect that to the other devices. That's just how iTunes works on all apps. But on the new device when you tap the forms button and get the Forms ad/purchase screen, you can click an option to 'Restore Purchases'. When you do that it will restore any in app purchases you've made for that app and user account and you should then have access to the forms on that device without having to repurchase it.

2. Images and forms are never synced between multiple devices (in the current conduit anyway, that may change in the future). Both of them are a one way backed up only process. So if you want forms from one device to be installed to the other you'd have to manually do so- you can copy the file to the install folder for that device and then sync to get it installed. Images are a much trickier problem- as of now we don't have a way to mass install images, so you'd have to manually install them one by one via the desktop connect (web browser) connection option to get them from one device to another. I realize that this is far less than ideal and do plan on addressing this with an update to both the conduit and the app to support installing images via the same install folder (I actually did all of this in a prior version but we had some issues and had to pull support for it and I have yet to revisit it).

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby MDE » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have it all working now and have bought the forms designer for the iPad. If I want the iPad forms on the desktop, what is the best way of doing this?
Image loading is a bit of a pain especially as they have to be done one at a time.
Despite the idiosyncrasies (pun intended), I haven't found a better database app!
MDE

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the followup and kind words. When you do sync, the forms files are backed up. If you open the database on the desktop it should use whatever form you have set for the start form for iPads/Tablets/Desktops without you having to do anything in that way!

Longer term the cloud sync solution in development should make all of this much more predictable and automatic. Can't wait!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch