Attaching Photo in email

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Attaching Photo in email

Postby Mountainiron » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Hello i am trying to attach my photos that are caputed within my database (external/photopicker) into an email. They show within the database but am unable to attach them with their unique name identifier. Ideally when "Emailing records" multiple records each photo would appear below or beside the record in the text string with its unique label. This is for Quality control purposes and the ability to efficiently show the data with the image would be great. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mountainiron

Re: Attaching Photo in email

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for email. The email record feature always sends only text, but there is an option for you to include both text and graphics if emailing a form. This was a new feature added in Sept 2013. Here's how it works:

Set up your form that includes text and the photo. You can use an existing form or if you'd like you can generate a form that contains only the values you need in the email. Then you can add a button to a different form and label it 'email record' or something to that effect.

Then when you tap the above button it takes you to the email friendly form. Now select the tools button and choose the Safe Form to PDF option. From there you'll have a choice to email the form/pdf and you should see the image of the form and all of it's images and controls intact in your email.

There is also a button action you can use if you don't want the user to have to press the tools and choose Safe Form to PDF - it's the Export Record button action. So you can build into a form the Export Record action.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby Mountainiron » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

[quote="dhaupert"]Hi there,

Thanks for email. The email record feature always sends only text, but there is an option for you to include both text and graphics if emailing a form. This was a new feature added in Sept 2013. Here's how it works:

Set up your form that includes text and the photo. You can use an existing form or if you'd like you can generate a form that contains only the values you need in the email. Then you can add a button to a different form and label it 'email record' or something to that effect.

Then when you tap the above button it takes you to the email friendly form. Now select the tools button and choose the Safe Form to PDF option. From there you'll have a choice to email the form/pdf and you should see the image of the form and all of it's images and controls intact in your email.

There is also a button action you can use if you don't want the user to have to press the tools and choose Safe Form to PDF - it's the Export Record button action. So you can build into a form the Export Record action.

I cant seem to be able to find "Safe Form to PDF - it's the Export Record button action" when i click the file my options are (open, properties,email,open in, and Delete) in Email i dont have this option what am i doing wrong.

Thanks.

Also with the unique identifier it resets if you empty you image library from the database. is there away to make this identifier indefinitely unique like a camera (ie 20140124-001, 20140129-001) year-month-day-image number that day?

Thank you i appreciate all the help.
Mountainiron

Postby Mountainiron » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:31 pm

any other ideas I cant figure out how to do this?
Mountainiron

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Sorry I didn't see your prior response!

What I was writing in my original post were two statements separated by a hyphen:
There is also a button action you can use if you don't want the user to have to press the tools and choose Safe Form to PDF - it's the Export Record button action

Let's state that a different way:

You can press the Tools button and choose Save form to PDF if you'd like. If you'd rather build this into a button action, you can. Add a button to the form and choose the action 'Export Record'.

In either case, if you press this action, the program creates a PDF and lets you send it any way your device supports. As you mentioned Email is an option there. So you can send the PDF via email and if the photo is part of that form, it will be part of the PDF and shown in the attachment.

Does that make sense?
dhaupert

Postby Mountainiron » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 pm

when i choose the tools button (small wrench) my i dont have the save form to pdf option i have:
sorting
filters
email records
delete records
copy records to..
move record to
print records
database properties

as far as adding the button i don't know how to do that i can add fields in properties but no buttons as far as I know?

thanks for the help
Mountainiron

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 am

Have you purchased the forms addon for HanDBase yet?
Please confirm as it is necessary for exporting as PDF .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 am

As Brian mentioned, this is a feature in a custom form. So you don't do it from the List View screen that you're describing but rather from a form. The forms designer is an in-app purchase and you can get to it from the database properties choice you mentioned seeing in the menu on the List view you're in.

Once you have the forms designer, you can add all kinds of buttons and controls to the form and that is where you'll export the record to a PDF!
dhaupert

Postby Mountainiron » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks guys that works but only for each individual entry i need to be able to export the entire database as pdf to clients with images. The text string is fine but needs the image along with the individual entry. ie 100 entries on several pages with images grouped with the individual entry separated by ----------- etc?

Also when i use the custom form way i cant read my all of headings which i assume is just a setting issue.

thanks again.
Mountainiron

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:42 am

Hi,

Yes, at present it is not possible to export all records as pages to a PDF.
Regarding the headers, you should be able to manually resize the controls themselves if they are getting cut off on the form display.

If they are cut off when exporting to PDF, you should increase the size of the form itself. To do this, open the forms designer, tap on the form and then the gear icon. You will want to scroll down just a bit, where you will find options for adjusting the form size.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch