Unable to find/open form (_HDF.PDB) after closing it

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Unable to find/open form (_HDF.PDB) after closing it

Postby mitchellsw » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm

I submitted a trouble ticket but was wondering if anyone else ran into issues with forms not saving. There is no _HDF.PDB file being created.

I Create a DB save it -
Create a form save it -
Close the form Designer -
Open form Designer and there is no form.
- or -
If I create a form on IPAD and Sync it to the Desktop there is a _HDF.PDB in the folder.
But when I open the form designer for the database (I created on the ipad) in Handbase for windows the list of forms is blank.

It seems like the Handbase for windows is not creating or associating _HDF.PDB files properly.

Troubleshooting steps taken:
    I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Handbase for windows.
    Deleting Handbase folders.
    restarting/shutdown

I am noticing that some setting (I'm guessing registry) are saved even after I uninstall and reinstall an example is ipad sync connections. So maybe there is a way to delete all Handbase for windows settings.
mitchellsw

Re: Unable to find/open form (_HDF.PDB) after closing it

Postby dhaupert » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and question. When you are saving the database, where are you saving it to? Are you also queuing the file to install? The same question goes for the forms- though you can't pick the location are you queuing it to install on the iPad thereafter?

If so, have you tried syncing yet? It should install and move the files to the proper location after the sync. Let me know!
dhaupert

Postby mitchellsw » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 pm

I was trying to save it to a network drive but was afraid that was creating the problem so I just saved it in the handbase folder used for syncing in my documents. I have tried to que for install and I have checked do not install. Neither creates the HDF file. I have tried syncing, but the HDF file isn't created so the only thing that syncs is the PDB file for the database.

Thanks for the help. In the morning, I am going to try to copy the HDF and PDB file (I created on the iPad)from one user folder to the other user and syncing the second user and seeing what happens. I can't test the second iPad till morning. But I am still concerned that I can't create forms on my windows desktop.
mitchellsw

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 am

Hi,

On the desktop, please verify that you are using these steps, as they always result in a properly created form for me:

1. Create a database
2. Save the database
3. With the database open, select the Configure / Database Properties menu option
4. When the popup appears, select Forms
5. Select the option to edit forms manually
6. Select the option to create a new form (on the dialog at the left of the screen)
7. Add a few controls
8. Use the menu option to save the form
9. Close the forms designer
10. Close the Database Properties dialog when you return to HanDBase Desktop

Now let's test to see if the form was created and saved. Add a new record. You should see the custom form appear.

Finally, let's test to see if the form survives being closed and reopened. Close the database and close HanDBase Desktop. Reopen HanDBase Desktop and open the database. Try adding a new record. The form should appear.

Please let me know if it does not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows