Flakey export to .xls

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Flakey export to .xls

Postby Marasri » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi and thanks for advice

After doing a sync of my android device to the desktop (works smoothly) I export the file to .xls. The file creates ok but I get the following message on opening the file.

The file you are tyring to open, xxx.xls, is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now.

On opening the file the values are "locked" ie I can't do anything we the data, nor can I do anything with the Excel program. I'm left staring at a frozen page of my data. I open and close several times (I have to use task manager to close) and then it just seems to sort itself out. Every time I think, am I going to get to my data today or be frozen out.

I am running Win7 and Excel 2010.

I can export as CSV and import that but it kind of annoys me as the save to location is not recalled by the program and so I have a lengthy (in my case), navigation to where I want to data to go (I would be good to have that fixed).
Marasri

Re: Flakey export to .xls

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. The XLS conversion is something that is not really built into HanDBase Desktop- we call the conversion via an old Windows concept called OLE (Object Linking and embedding) and we pass the data and Excel actually creates the file. I don't think that Excel 2010 still supports this interchange format, at least it doesn't sound like it does.

With regards to the CSV export, there is a built in way to automate the process a lot more. Try opening the Configure/Sync menu and then Preferences. Click on Advanced in the bottom right. Now you can set up a 'plug-in' which is basically a way to set up some common operations that will show under the file menu. For example, if you give it a name - Export to CSV in Documents

And set the action 1 to be export records and set a filename in the box (and set up any parameters appropriately via the checkboxes)

you'd now have two click access to export the database to CSV. You can even trigger a command to launch excel with the file you saved. There are macros listed at the bottom which you can use in your command lines and such.

Let me know if you need any further help with this!
dhaupert

Re: Flakey export to .xls

Postby khodadad » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 am

This happens with lots of programs that still generate a xls (that is, not xlsx) file, but it should work.
I have just tested here and it works, you may have some security configuration in Excel that prevents this.
A suggestion: Change the file extension to "XLSX". Here is how to show extensions in the explorer, then simply rename the file (for example foo.xls to foo.xlsx).

Regarding security, have a look at your Protected view configuration and your File block settings
khodadad

Return to HanDBase for Windows