Font size vs row height in list view

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: Font size vs row height in list view

Postby khodadad » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 am

Asking again about this. Any news? Two months since last post and no response.
And, as mentioned in my last post, the hitbox of the checkbox remains small, so I can touch the space above or below, so that I go to "edit record" instead of checking it, which is quite annoying.
khodadad

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:38 am

Hi there,

Thanks for following up. Honestly I was just identifying with you in the previous posts about that the SGS devices don't follow the normal scaling settings for Android. I wasn't planning on addressing every case of them not scaling properly with workarounds - it's ultimately a problem that Samsung needs to address to improve its Android compatibility.
On forms this really showed it's ugly face and I had to rewrite my scaling of the entire form to account for it. I never did get things to work perfectly in that regard but at least you can adjust the font size and scale factor to make up for it.

I'm sorry I don't have any news on this front- I am not working on any Android updates at the moment and this is not on my todo list for when I do get back to Android development, external fields are at the top of those!
dhaupert

Postby khodadad » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 am

I have more than one hundred applications of all types installed (from games to corporate applications) with no problem regarding scaling except handbase.
khodadad

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 pm

That's good to hear. I have found articles on StackOverflow and other developer forums reflecting the issue. I know I'm not alone with it, though it's rare enough that most apps won't be effected. Most apps don't generate screens on the fly, they use XML to specify the details and let the OS handle all scaling. Since HanDBase has dynamic data, it's all generated with Java code and only parts of it XML. Hence the problem..

I'm not denying that there is an issue or that there could be something done about it, but I am being honest to say it's not at the top of my list right now as it's cosmetic and at certain font sizes, and very few people see any issue in this regard.
dhaupert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:51 am

There is definitely a possibility of hitting above or below the checkbox, as I have encountered on my Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note2, but it is my experience that if I am relatively close to the checkbox I don't have any problems.

There are of course several different possibilities coming into play that could make mine, or anyone's, experience better or worse. The main factors in this are going to be font scaling and font specified in the OS' settings (I use a tiny font) and font scaling within HanDBase itself.

I have to encourage trying out different font and size combinations, as I suspect you will find something that suits your needs.

For the record, I have encountered this problem in one other program that appears to use checkboxes in conjunction with dynamic drawing of the UI - Pocket Informant. It is actually *far* easier in it to open a record instead of check a box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby khodadad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 am

Now I am puzzled. I can understand the issues in the form editor, but we are talking of a list, which in some cases has some checkboxes. I understand that they are dynamically generated, but there are only text and checkboxes, and even the checkboxes don't scale. All the other lists in handbase, including the fancy new one of the Database Setting scale properly or at least to a sensible size. In other apps with dynamic redrawing you don't even have the possibility to alter the size but the default choice is good enough, regardless of OS scaling.
I don't want to mess with the OS full setting because all the other apps have a "normal" size. I don't want to break them to make handbase display properly. Moreover not having the guarantee that it is going to work. May be one setting for font size and another for list height? in handbase? This would not solve the issue, but will offer a viable alternative (I hope).
Regarding if it is cosmetic, now I can either 1) go to a very small font, difficult to see or 2)to to a larger font and lose part of the letters in the row. It doesn't seem cosmetic to me because it affects the function.
khodadad

Postby jdeskins » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:58 am

I just purchased an LG G3 and have the same issues in List View. Very basic problem. the row heights are very small and difficult to read and click on. I can scale the size up, but it gets clipped by the row heights.
jdeskins

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to read of the font issue you are experiencing.

Initially I recommend trying a different font on your G3 to see if you get better results. Here's a link to how to adjust them on your phone:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/08/11 ... -and-type/
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby khodadad » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:07 am

I sincerely don't understand why you propose changing the font on the whole font to solve a problem in an app. Changing the font in the phone can have undesired results all over the phone.
I hope this to be solved in the next update, because it is really annoying (and a lot of time has passed).
khodadad

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:18 am

I use a Samsung Note 2. It allows for changing of fonts. Some fonts are bigger and some are smaller by default. Some fonts, depending on how they are made, have better spacing above and below them.

My suggestion was merely to experiment with different fonts to see if one of them gives you a better result.

We have done several things to try to address this and will continue to look into it.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android