Synch just wiped out hours of work!

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Synch just wiped out hours of work!

Postby Lamblaster » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm

I have been inputting data on both my PC from paperwork and had gone to the shop to get serial numbers for an inventory db. I came back, made sure that I had Synch database, and lost all of the work I just spent hours doing! Am I to assume that you can only input data from one device?
Lamblaster

Re: Synch just wiped out hours of work!

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:06 am

Hi,

That's not the case- the sync is a two way synchronization so the changes should be merged between the two. When that doesn't happen it could mean one of a few things:

1. You didn't hit File|Save on the desktop. The files are not auto saved like they are on the device, so before a sync, you'd want to save and perhaps close your databases you have open.

2. The more common occurrence is that you made a structural change between the two databases- for example if you added or changed a field type, or edited the structure such as Views, Field orders, etc., the databases can't be synced together. The sync handles this situation by logging something in the Sync log to say that this is the case and then making a back up your databases on both sides in the Backup folder- you should be able to find the data you lost and manually handle getting it back (eg, you can open a backup, export to a CSV and import to the active database).

If you're curious to see if the sync did do the above go to the View Sync Log option and read through. Feel free to copy and paste the text in a reply here and I can help you decipher that!
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm

You might also double-check your "Sync Settings". The default is two-way as Dave has mentioned. But a user can choose the settings of "Desktop Data Overwrites Device" or "Device Data Overwrites Desktop". Once I chose one of those for a good reason, but then forgot to reset that setting to "Synchronize this database" and lost some of my work just like you.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Lamblaster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

The data I had that is gone was on the iPad. Is there a backup made of this and where would it be?
Lamblaster

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:19 pm

As I mentioned, the backups are stored in the Backup folder. The full path is:

Documents\HanDBase\username\Backup

The files names themselves describe the date and source of the backup so hopefully you can decipher which one was from the iPad.

Also, please take a look at the sync log as mentioned above and/or copy and paste it here so we can see what happened!
dhaupert

Postby uboche » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:37 am

Just to underline what Dave told you about the backup folder, this is a list of some of the files in my backup folder:

Acronyms.PDB desktop # 2014-03-06 12-24-15.PDB
Acronyms.PDB desktop # 2014-03-06 14-22-52.PDB
Acronyms.PDB desktop # 2014-03-09 12-13-18.PDB
Acronyms.PDB desktop # 2014-03-10 16-15-52.PDB
Acronyms.PDB handheld # 2014-03-06 12-24-16.PDB
Acronyms.PDB handheld # 2014-03-06 14-22-52.PDB
Acronyms.PDB handheld # 2014-03-09 12-13-18.PDB
Acronyms.PDB handheld # 2014-03-10 16-15-52.PDB

Backup is performed automatically at each sync, the files with "handheld" in the file name are from my iPad. You should have similar backup files from your databases.
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby Lamblaster » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm

OK, I have 2 databases. One from the desktop that I have added a bunch of records and the iPad, which I have added a bunch of information. How do I combine them so they synch?
Lamblaster

Postby Lamblaster » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Got it! Thanks guys for the information. I have used Handbase since the Palm PDA days, but never with the desktop.
Lamblaster

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Lamblaster wrote:OK, I have 2 databases. One from the desktop that I have added a bunch of records and the iPad, which I have added a bunch of information. How do I combine them so they synch?

If you are editing the one on the desktop that is showing when you choose the File | Open screen and select your user name, all you should have to do is sync. Again, if the databases don't sync the way you'd expect the Sync Log will explain why- it usually has to do with you changing the database structure on one side. Please see above for more details!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows