Datevalue function

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Datevalue function

Postby patrickwest » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:15 am

Folks,

When thinking about things to enhance HanDBase please consider a Date value function such as is available in Excel.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel ... 62284.aspx

Often imported data had stored dates as text. Adding a Datevalue function would allow calculations to be run on these fields.

In the meantime I am using desktop excel and handbase to work around the issue.

And of course I understand that there may not be enough demand for such a feature to make it worthwhile to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
patrickwest

Re: Datevalue function

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for posting.

We will add this to our list of feature requests. It will definitely get taken into consideration, but please note that we cannot guarantee it at this time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Alanwestwood » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:32 am

Thanks for raising this point, Patrick.

Please can I add another vote, Brian, but for iPad too of course ;-)

Regards, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby Alanwestwood » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:42 am

Actually, on further consideration, for me at least, its less a need for a datevalue function and more a need for HanDBase to accept more date and time formats at csv import.

At present, to set up a new database I simply import a sample csv then change the fields to more suitable types (because they are all imported as text). So I convert many fields to Date or Time or Integer or Float, for example. Then I delete the imported records and reimport them, and they then get pretty well accepted as entries of the correct type - so Dates are imported as dates and can be sorted, filtered, calculated.

But HanDBase doesn't convert a very common datetime format - YYYY-MM-SS or YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS which is commonly used because of course its sortable even as text. It would be great if this format imported by csv to HanDBase fields would get converted to a Date.

In fact, at the moment HanDBase insists on DD/MM/YYYY, it won't even accept DD-MM-YYYY, and we get 01/01/2000 for 'wrong' (ie unaccepted) date formats on import. This might also solve Patricks problem if he used the same approach as me.

Regards, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch