How Do I Integrate New iPhone into Existing HanDBase Environ

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

How Do I Integrate New iPhone into Existing HanDBase Environ

Postby MidCoast Jim » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:06 am

Okay! I bought my iPhone 5C, went to the App Strore and purchased HanDBase for iPhone (ver, 4.9.03) and have just submitted a "Registration" request/notification (?) at the DDH Software website (http://www.ddhsoftware.com/register.html)

Now what? What's the best way to set up a "user" so that database.pdb's on the PC desktop will sync onto the new phone?

As I discussed in another thread the plan is that I will be re-organizing all my pdb's with most of them being shared so they will be accessible on the PC, iPhone and iPad.

BTW: "My Page" at the DDH website is becoming a little confusing

HanDBase for iPad (no download) Version: 4.8.710
HanDBase Professional for iPhone/iPad Add-on (???)
HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on
HanDBase Enterprise for Palm OS
HanDBase Forms for Palm OS

Do "Professional" and "Enterprise" have any significance at this point. I continue to use a PC (Win 7), but the Android phone is now replaced by the iPhone 5C.

I also have "Forms" on the iPad via an in-app purchase, but that doesn't show up on the website.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing I'll have to in-App buy Forms for the iPhone.

Where do I go from here to have HDB on the PC, iPad and iPhone all on the same page? At his point I am syncing via physical USB cable connection.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Re: How Do I Integrate New iPhone into Existing HanDBase Env

Postby MidCoast Jim » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am

MidCoast Jim wrote:....<snip>....
Now what? What's the best way to set up a "user" so that database.pdb's on the PC desktop will sync onto the new phone?...<snip>...

I forced the issue by creating a new database on the iPhone and then "saving as" ...which created a need for a new user to be set up and that process succeeded stright-forwardly.

I also performed an "in app purchase" and bought "Forms" for the new iPhone version of HDB. Do I need to register Forms into my account on the DDH website?

I have begun the task of going through 15 years of pdb's, across 4 or 5 "PDA/handheld devices" with 4 or 5 HDB "users", and winnowing out the dead and old. I anticipate I will wind up with a list of, let's say, 50 databases; 30 of which I will need to access very infrequently and only on the desktop.

The other 20 databases will be prime databases I access almost on a daily basis and their sub pdb's (pdb's providing data to the prime databases' dbPopUp fields and the like. Those databases I will need to share across the phone, tablet and desktop — keeping all synched.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby dhaupert » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 am

MidCoast Jim wrote:Okay! I bought my iPhone 5C, went to the App Strore and purchased HanDBase for iPhone (ver, 4.9.03) and have just submitted a "Registration" request/notification (?) at the DDH Software website (http://www.ddhsoftware.com/register.html)

Now what? What's the best way to set up a "user" so that database.pdb's on the PC desktop will sync onto the new phone?

As I discussed in another thread the plan is that I will be re-organizing all my pdb's with most of them being shared so they will be accessible on the PC, iPhone and iPad.

BTW: "My Page" at the DDH website is becoming a little confusing

HanDBase for iPad (no download) Version: 4.8.710
HanDBase Professional for iPhone/iPad Add-on (???)
HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on
HanDBase Enterprise for Palm OS
HanDBase Forms for Palm OS

Do "Professional" and "Enterprise" have any significance at this point. I continue to use a PC (Win 7), but the Android phone is now replaced by the iPhone 5C.

I also have "Forms" on the iPad via an in-app purchase, but that doesn't show up on the website.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing I'll have to in-App buy Forms for the iPhone.

Where do I go from here to have HDB on the PC, iPad and iPhone all on the same page? At his point I am syncing via physical USB cable connection.

Jim

Will respond to some of your questions from your followup post but to the download page:

Professional for Palm and Enterprise for Palm are obviously of little significance and can be ignored. The Professional version for iPhone is definitely important as that's the package that contains:
Desktop version
iPhone sync conduit
Desktop forms designer

As you mentioned, if you want to design forms on the device, you have to purchase that feature, which it sounds like you already did!

See next response for more..
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:03 am

MidCoast Jim wrote:
MidCoast Jim wrote:....<snip>....
Now what? What's the best way to set up a "user" so that database.pdb's on the PC desktop will sync onto the new phone?...<snip>...

I forced the issue by creating a new database on the iPhone and then "saving as" ...which created a need for a new user to be set up and that process succeeded stright-forwardly.

I also performed an "in app purchase" and bought "Forms" for the new iPhone version of HDB. Do I need to register Forms into my account on the DDH website?

I have begun the task of going through 15 years of pdb's, across 4 or 5 "PDA/handheld devices" with 4 or 5 HDB "users", and winnowing out the dead and old. I anticipate I will wind up with a list of, let's say, 50 databases; 30 of which I will need to access very infrequently and only on the desktop.

The other 20 databases will be prime databases I access almost on a daily basis and their sub pdb's (pdb's providing data to the prime databases' dbPopUp fields and the like. Those databases I will need to share across the phone, tablet and desktop — keeping all synched.

Jim

Your basic overview for syncing is this:
1. Create a partnership between iPhone and desktop and sync. Will not have any of your desktop databases but will do the initial setup.
2. Copy or move all databases you want to sync between multiple devices into a central location (eg, My Documents folder, or a subfolder under there).
3. Now set up sharing to sync the desktop databases in the folder above to your device(s).

I have not created a tutorial for this exact thing but was working on one for users of both iOS and Android and it still may be helpful to you as the process is the same (except that you don't need the Android conduit or need to configure the shared databases in the Android conduit- can do both iPad and iPhone via the same Sync Settings screen!). Here it is:

Syncing a Database between Android and iPhone or iPad

Please note: This document assumes (and requires) that you are using both the conduit for Android and the Conduit for iOS, which are sold separately as part of their respective packages (eg, HanDBase Plus for Android, HanDBase Plus for iPhone/iPad, HanDBase Professional for Android, HanDBase Professional for iPhone/iPad, etc).  

Often times you may have a configuration where you have multiple devices and want to sync them together. Our conduits have support for shared databases like this:

And you can easily specify to share a database with another device simply by checking the box to share the device and then selecting the users from the list you want to share to.

But what happens when you want to share a database with another device of a different type? The list box only shows devices of the same type (i.e., those compatible with that particular conduit). So while an iPad user can easily share/sync a database with an iPhone or iPod touch user, one may wonder how they could also share with an Android user. This tutorial will show you just how to set this up!

Setting up the Database for sharing among devices:

It's easiest to have a database that is shared amongst different devices kept in a central location, so there is less confusion about where the synced database is stored on the desktop. It's not a requirement but it is the method we recommend and the one we'll explain in this tutorial.

1. Copy a database file (.PDB) to a central location on your computer. For example, you may put this in My Documents\HanDBase\SharedDBs (a folder you'd create) or on Macs Documents\HanDBase\SharedDB. Locate the file in your user folder (e.g., My Documents\HanDBase\Username) and copy it to the new location you desire.

2. Now Launch the Sync Settings for your Android device first:

3. Choose the option Create Shared DB (Windows) or simply + on Mac.

4. Browse to the location for your shared database and choose it.

5. Click the database listed in Shared Databases.

6. Now select the users you wish to share to that are Android users. By default all Android users will be selected, but you can change this as needed.

7. Now you can save and exit the Android Conduit section and choose Configure|iPhone/iPad/iPod touch users.

Repeat the same steps for the iPhone or iPad user.
8. Choose the Create New Shared database option and browse to the shared location.

9. Click the database listed in Shared Databases.

10. Now select the users you wish to share to that are iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch users. By default all iOS users will be selected, but you can change this as needed.

11. Now you can save and exit the iOS Conduit section.

That's all there is to it! When you sync now, any of the devices will sync to the database you have stored in the shared folder. If the device doesn't already have the database, it will install it to the device on the next sync.

Now, one more item to consider. When you select File|Open, you're given a list of users and the databases in these user's folders are shown in that list. You may be disappointed to notice that you won't see the shared database listed in these lists, because it's not kept in these folders. If you do happen to see it in these folders, don't open it- it's likely the database that predated setting things up for shared sync!

On our Windows version, we offer support for a Custom user type, where you can point to any folder on your drive and give it a name. It's perfect for setting up a User that you can open databases directly from this screen. Here's how:

1. Click on Configure|Other/Custom users

2. Choose the Create New User Button.

3. Give the user a name in User Name. For example, you may want to call it Shared Databases.

4. In the Path to PDB file, browse and select the folder for your Shared DBs from above.

5. In the User Type, select Desktop Only. This will prevent the program from prompting you each time you save to install this database to a device.

Press OK and you are done. Now you should have a user you can select from the File Open screen and see your shared databases.

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this tutorial. Our support site is here:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/support.html and you can contact us via links on that page.
dhaupert

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 am

Thanks Dave!

I'm right in the middle of sorting through all the databases I've created over the years. It's amazing to me how many of them I still consider relevant and un-deletable. :(

From a previous discussion on the sharing of pdb's I remember there is a question that HDB will ask me to which I must reply "No" or my shared version of the database will either be discarded or over-written. Is is after I maybe make a change, let's say, to the structure of the .pdb? What is it that I'm talking about and is there a way to set things up to avoid the situation where I can mistakenly trash everything?

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:50 am

Not sure what question you could be referring to!

re: cleaning up databases, I don't think any of my databases are as big as even a single jpg stored on my computer so when I'm looking to clean house, I go for the larger files that make a bigger dent!
dhaupert

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:24 am

dhaupert wrote:Not sure what question you could be referring to!

Okay, in HDB Desktop I just modified a database, adding a new field. When I clicked the window's Red X to close the database a window popped up:

-----------------------------
QUESTION
This Database (##database name##) has either been modified, recalculated, resorted or navigated, Would you like to save these changes? Yes No Cancel
-----------------------------

If the database is a shared database and I click "Yes", will the "new" version of the pdb be written to the "shared pdb's" folder or will it revert to the original "user" folder creating a new, second version which will NOT be shared amongst my devices?

dhaupert wrote:re: cleaning up databases, I don't think any of my databases are as big as even a single jpg stored on my computer so when I'm looking to clean house, I go for the larger files that make a bigger dent!

When I'm sorting through all my HDB files I'm not thinking about making more space on my hard drive! :shock: I'm just trying to make it easier to find the files I need and use on a regular basis. It's also the case that I will have three versions of a database; the original, a 2nd with a slightly different name being an improvement (maybe having some fields added) and the third, an even better version.

Yes, I know that a little attention to housecleaning as databases evolve would obviate the situation. But, nevertheless, I have LOTS of pdbs.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 am

Hi again,

That's the same type of message that you'd get in any document editor app- eg Pages, Word, TextEdit, NotePad, etc saying that the file is changed and prompting whether to save it. So the answer should always be yes if you want to save and not abandon your changes!

It always saves to the same location you opened it. You'd have to manually save as to put it somewhere else.

I understand about the organization of the files beyond just saving space! That's certainly different than what I was assuming. Just remember the active databases you use should all be in the same main folder (ie, not sub folders) or HanDBase won't be able to inter connect them via DB Popups and other relational fields.
dhaupert

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:31 am

dhaupert wrote:...<snip>....Just remember the active databases you use should all be in the same main folder (ie, not sub folders) or HanDBase won't be able to inter connect them via DB Popups and other relational fields.

Thanks Dave!

So, I was correct in assuming that I should not attempt to use the Windows' file structure to organize my pdb files.

I've come up with two questions:

1) what're the chances that HDB could increase the limit of allowable categories above 20?

2) any possibility of there being sub-categories? Actually, having sub-categories would, at least for the time being, would remove any need for an increase in the number of categories.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Jim,

Anything is possible if there is a lot of demand for a feature, but neither of these requests have been made in 16 years of the program being available. So far, you're the first and I'll definitely keep my mind open if there are many others wanting this as well.
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch