Is It Necessary to Close HanDBase

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Is It Necessary to Close HanDBase

Postby MidCoast Jim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:09 pm

On my Android phone, when leaving HanDBase — especially just prior to a sync, I was always careful to "back out" to the "Choose Database" screen, hit the "Menu" button and then tap "Exit".

If a similar procedure is necessary in IOS on either iPhone or iPad, what is it?

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Re: Is It Necessary to Close HanDBase

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 am

There is no Exit option in the iOS version of HanDBase.
You should be fine simply leaving the application, as iOS places apps in a state of hibernation once exited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Alanwestwood » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Well you can force quit an app in iOS of course, using the home button double tap. But if there's one thing I really, really wish Apple would give us its the ability to easily fully quit one or all open apps, not just leave them in hibernation. I often want to do this, for example if more than one app is capable of using a BT device or the gps chip and I want to release it. And whatever Apple say, I sometimes want to clear the memory to reduce problems when using apps that hold large amounts of data - including HanDBase on occasion.

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby dhaupert » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:01 pm

MidCoast Jim wrote:On my Android phone, when leaving HanDBase — especially just prior to a sync, I was always careful to "back out" to the "Choose Database" screen, hit the "Menu" button and then tap "Exit".

If a similar procedure is necessary in IOS on either iPhone or iPad, what is it?

Jim

On Android, that need to exit only applied to when you were syncing via a cabled connection because the app and the computer could potentially be accessing files at the same time. On iOS HanDBase, all syncing is done via the app itself, via it's desktop connect, so there is no need to close for a sync- in fact, you can't sync unless it's actually open and running so you can start desktop connect!
dhaupert

Postby Alanwestwood » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:11 pm

On iOS HanDBase, all syncing is done via the app itself, via it's desktop connect, so there is no need to close for a sync- in fact, you can't sync unless it's actually open and running so you can start desktop connect!

I don't use a desktop anymore, so can't sync HanDBase files between my iOS devices - unfortunately! Wish we could sync over iCloud, like many other iOS apps, but I can see why its a low priority for you guys because you have created what looks like a very comprehensive multi-platform sync. And a work around in iOS is to just use AirDrop to copy pdb files across devices.

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Alan,

You'll be happy to hear that a cloud based sync option is being developed right now! It's not going to replace the sync we have as some people don't fully trust the cloud (for good reason- if you've been following the news the last year!). In your case you can actually still use Desktop connect even without a desktop- it works from the browser of one device to another. It even adjusts it's behavior if it detects an iOS device connecting to it and you can sync a file that way- just start desktop connect on one device, go to the web browser on the other and visit the page given. Then tap a database and that database will be brought into HanDBase where you can choose to sync it, overwrite it, etc, just like sending the file via email or AirDrop. Not sure if it's easier for a single database, but for a bunch of them it may reduce the steps required a little!
dhaupert

Postby Alanwestwood » Thu May 01, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks for that info - yep I've used the desktop connect to sync from my iPhone to my iPad. With Safari it opens a window offering an Open-In, which is pretty much what happens with AirDrop, except with AirDrop I don't have to type in a web address (which is of course different depending on where I am and what wifi I am using). Before iOS7 and AirDrop that was the method I used, but to be honest I prefer AirDrop now.

Very glad to hear about an iCloud sync though. I accept that there are security issues when using more or less any cloud facility whether Apple's or anyone else's, but it comes down to us users taking appropriate precautions and not syncing sensitive data that way, and using password protection and/or encryption, etc. And for non-sensitive data, such as my mass of cycling training data from 1994 to date, which is of little interest to anybody except me ;-) , using an iCloud sync would certainly be very quick and convenient.

Thanks again. I am standing by to upgrade my App Store review from 4 to 5 star as soon as csv import is released :-)

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 01, 2014 11:45 am

Agreed on the cloud sync security front. I use HanDBase for a lot of sensitive stuff (passwords, financial data) but when the Cloud sync is ready I will use it because I have encryption on those databases anyway! The rest of them are ones I wouldn't care if someone somehow could see via hacking anyway.

Still waiting on Apple to review the csv import capable update - it has been a week now since it was submitted..
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch