Storing databases on a different drive

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Storing databases on a different drive

Postby Bruno » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 pm

I have a new Windows 7 machine with 2 drives. I would like the HanDBase data located on the D: drive, not under the user's My Documents folder on the C: drive. I've seen older posts suggesting created a shared sync folder, but I want to ask if it might be better to link the C: location to the D: folder, e.g.

mlink /j "C:\Users\Bruno\My Documents\HanDBase" "D:\My Documents\HanDBase"

I've done this with a couple other apps and it works fine. Anything to watch out for?

Thanks,
Bruno
Bruno

Re: Storing databases on a different drive

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Bruno,

You can try this but I suspect that the conduit is going to give you fits.
The shared sync option would tell the conduit to look at the location on the D drive you specify.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby curtterp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Why not just put all of My Documents on the D drive?

Just a thought
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Bruno » Thu May 01, 2014 1:10 pm

curtterp wrote:Why not just put all of My Documents on the D drive?

Just a thought

And a good thought. What method would you suggest? I just learned about the ability of Windows 7 to relocate the My Documents folder from the Properties/Location tab. Is that the way?
Bruno

Postby curtterp » Thu May 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Bruno wrote:
curtterp wrote:Why not just put all of My Documents on the D drive?

Just a thought

And a good thought. What method would you suggest? I just learned about the ability of Windows 7 to relocate the My Documents folder from the Properties/Location tab. Is that the way?

You found it.... yes, that is the way that I did that for my wife. I just made a folder on the D drive, and pointed "My Documents" to that folder. It works well for her, and I have the peace of mind that her documents are not located on the boot drive (she has embroidery files which she has purchased located in my documents).
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Bruno » Sun May 04, 2014 11:48 am

I changed the location of all the folders under my user to the D drive (except AppData, which can't be relocated). When I tried to sync the iPod Touch, it seemed to get a couple databases but hiccuped on the _HDF file and wanted to get to the C drive. After canceling the sync, I tried to view the log but it said there was no log created yet for the user. Didn't look good.

Next step was I changed the name of my iPod Touch and created a new user in HanDBase Desktop. Everything went smooth as could be. So I just deleted the old user, changed the name back and recreated it. Now all is well.

Looking at the registry, I suppose I could have just changed the path there, but what I did worked anyway.
Bruno

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon May 05, 2014 5:19 am

Glad to read you have the sync to your D drive working!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby idamtnboy » Wed May 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Bruno wrote:I have a new Windows 7 machine with 2 drives. I would like the HanDBase data located on the D: drive, not under the user's My Documents folder on the C: drive. I've seen older posts suggesting created a shared sync folder, but I want to ask if it might be better to link the C: location to the D: folder, e.g.

mlink /j "C:\Users\Bruno\My Documents\HanDBase" "D:\My Documents\HanDBase"

I've done this with a couple other apps and it works fine. Anything to watch out for?

Thanks,
Bruno

I know this is several weeks old, but I have my Handbase DBs on my D: drive and sync with 2 Android devices with no problem. I moved the DBs to a folder on D:, and then did a registry edit to change the path to the new location. Works great!
idamtnboy

Return to HanDBase for Windows