NO Sync FROM iPhone to Desktop

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

NO Sync FROM iPhone to Desktop

Postby MidCoast Jim » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:29 am

Okay, I recently discovered that new records I made to my "daily journal" pdb on the iPhone were not appearing on the Desktop version of the database. I'd lost more than a month of entries before picking up on this. ;-( Note: not sure if the fact that this pdb is "shared" and is accessible by both my iPhone and iPad is germaine.

I assumed that the pdb file was somehow polluted so exported all its records as a csv, created a new, plain, NOT-shared pdb. I created this pdb by clicking on "Import" on the File menu and then specifying that I wanted to import into a new database ...giving the new database and entirely new name, not similar to the original pdb.

I have now determined that I have the same problem with both the original journal pdb as well as the newly created pdb:

New records added to either database ON the HDB desktop are synced and added to the pdb's on the iPhone.
New records added to either database ON the iPhone disappear during the sync.

Is it possible that one (or more) of the records in the database is somehow damaged? How could such a problem make its way through the csv export and import process? I mean I started the new "created via csv import" database from scratch. After importing all the records (and creating the pdb during that process) I had to go in and set types for the fields ("date", "time", "text", etc)

Help! This is really bumming me out! I tried attaching the original shared pdb file but am informed it's not permitted to attach pdbs

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Re: NO Sync FROM iPhone to Desktop

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. It may be as simple as an incorrect setting in your sync settings! Go to the Sync Settings screen and take a look at the sync mode that is set for each database. There are options like 'Synchronize' which are a two way sync, and then there are ones like 'Desktop Overwrites Device' which will wipe any changes on the device with the one from the desktop. Let's check and see what the settings are for the databases you're seeing this with as well as the 'default' entry which is what each new database would use.

Let me know what you see.

What I would do in the interim is send the database via email to yourself- go to the choose database screen and hit the little dropdown along the right edge of the database in question to bring up the tools for that database. Choose Email and send it to yourself- now you have a copy of the database that is separate than the sync is paying attention to. Since I'm often testing versions and new code, I actually do this as a preventative safe keeping measure before I try a new beta or make any big changes to a database!
dhaupert

Postby MidCoast Jim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey Dave — I had checked the sync settings first thing and it was set to "Synchronize this database" as were ALL the other pdb's in the "Shared Databases" section.

QUESTION: Can/should I set the sync for the shared databases to "Default" (which is "Synchronize this database")? It appears that during the setting up of a share the sync is changed from "Default" to "Synchronize this database". All of my shared pdbs are set to "Synchronize this database" while all of the non-shared pdbs are "Default" (which, again, is "Synchronize this database")

I created a new database "JournalDay" using the troubled "EC3day" pdb as a template. I tested the new database's ability to sync new records created on the phone, pad and desktop back and forth and then copied all the records from the old "EC3day" to the new database. Whatever problem with the old database was keeping new records created on the phone and then syncing to the desktop, that problem did not propagate through either using that damaged database as a template when creating a new one OR via the copying of the records from the old bad pdb to the new.

dhaupert wrote:Hi Jim, Sorry to hear of your trouble.....<snip>....What I would do in the interim is send the database via email to yourself- go to the choose database screen and hit the little dropdown along the right edge of the database in question to bring up the tools for that database. Choose Email and send it to yourself- now you have a copy of the database that is separate than the sync is paying attention to....<snip>....

Your emailing yourself a database is a good way to create a dated backup. I have to admit I was too reliant on the knowledge that HDB was creating a backup copy every time I synced and then was saving the most recent 10 of those in a folder on my PC. I'd have to say it was my fault for not noticing when I opened my "daily journal" that the two most recent records showing were always the same two from mid-May. That would be when, for whatever reason, the pdb stopped syncing new records entered on the phone to the desktop.

One reason for my mess-up would be that when I open the database it is sorted earliest to latest so I'm not looking at the last entries I'd made.

Now that I've set up a new database, shared it between the iPhone, iPad and laptop Desktop. I'm looking for the best way to remove the old damaged and TEST pdf's that I now do not need. I'm asking that question in a new, separate thread.

Thank you! Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:46 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

You can set the shared files to use the "default" parameter.

The only reason another option ever really needs to be selected is if you are engaging in custom syncing going in one direction for particular files.

Regarding the rebuild - copying the structure and then the records - this can sometimes free a database of "sawdust" that can begin to give the file problems.

Glad you are finding emailing the database to yourself helpful. Keep in mind you can also upload them to a cloud service such as Dropbox using the Open In option. Note that you have to have the related app on there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch