What is BEST Procedure for Deleting Databases

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

What is BEST Procedure for Deleting Databases

Postby MidCoast Jim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Hey Hi!

I have accumulated a number of databases that are no longer necessary and want to delete them completely from my HDB environment.

I think over the years I have tried both deleting databases while "IN" HanDBase and "mechanically" by going into the file structure and deleting the actual .pdb files in one or more of the various "HanDBase" directories on my hard drive. HanDBase, to its credit, usually resists my attempts to "lose" data and re-installs the files I've deleted and/or has a holy fit and complains and announces ERRORs.

So, please, give me the best step by step methods to delete a database from "the system" -- you can assume that I have already saved an archival, backup copies of the information that I think I might need at some later date: While I have not created any forms to date, I'd suggest that to best aid all the readership you should cover getting rid of forms and any other support files that will become unattached when their "parent" pdb disappears.

1) Deleting a SHARED database:

2) Deleting a NON-shared database:

Thank you! Jim

PS -- Once I have successfully deleted the existing pdbs which need to go away, I will be back to address all the errors reported in the LOG every time I sync ...these are the result of previous attempts to make deletions. J
MidCoast Jim

Re: What is BEST Procedure for Deleting Databases

Postby curtterp » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:42 pm

The way it works, the device is the leader, and the desktop is the follower. IF you delete a database from your device first, the next time you sync, the desktop will see that the database is no longer on the device and will archive that database, thus removing it from the folder where the databases are. It will be under the Archive folder in the partnership folder.

If memory serves me correctly (Dave or Brian will tell us), you will need to remove the sharing of a database on the desktop first, then delete it from the device.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby MidCoast Jim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks Curt!

I like "the device is the leader" ...pretty sure I can commit that to memory. :P :lol:

I guess that the best way to facilitate "remove the sharing of a database on the desktop first" will be to remove the database name in the "Shared Databases" box in the lower half of the "iPhone Sync Settings" window. I guess I'll try that first, run a sync and see what happens. I'm wishing I'd persisted with my question about whether is it was advisable and/or permissable to delete a shared database's name from the "Databases" (NON-shared) box once it was established in the "Shared Databases" box.

Curt, I wonder how many of us OLD HDB warriors there are. I hate to admit it here but over the years, in time of frustration, I've looked at the possibility of adopting a new database "app" other than HanDBase. But, there has NEVER has been anything like HanDBase; right up to the present day ...NOTHING LIKE IT! I bought my first Palm PDA simply because I'd found HanDBase and needed something on which to run it.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby curtterp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 pm

MidCoast Jim wrote:Thanks Curt!

I like "the device is the leader" ...pretty sure I can commit that to memory. :P :lol:

I guess that the best way to facilitate "remove the sharing of a database on the desktop first" will be to remove the database name in the "Shared Databases" box in the lower half of the "iPhone Sync Settings" window. I guess I'll try that first, run a sync and see what happens. I'm wishing I'd persisted with my question about whether is it was advisable and/or permissable to delete a shared database's name from the "Databases" (NON-shared) box once it was established in the "Shared Databases" box.

Curt, I wonder how many of us OLD HDB warriors there are. I hate to admit it here but over the years, in time of frustration, I've looked at the possibility of adopting a new database "app" other than HanDBase. But, there has NEVER has been anything like HanDBase; right up to the present day ...NOTHING LIKE IT! I bought my first Palm PDA simply because I'd found HanDBase and needed something on which to run it.

Jim

There are a few of us OLD HanDBase users. I found HB when I had my original Palm V (I won it in a contest) during their first year of operation.... I have a database or two that have gone from the Palm, to Windows Mobile, to Android, to iPad..... and if Apple ever releases a good size screen on the iPhone, I will be getting that one too..... about the only one I haven't purchased is the blackberry version..... never wanted a blackberry.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby MidCoast Jim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 pm

MidCoast Jim wrote:...<snip>...the best way to facilitate "remove the sharing of a database on the desktop first" will be to remove the database name in the "Shared Databases" box in the lower half of the "iPhone Sync Settings" window. I guess I'll try that first, run a sync and see what happens. I'm wishing I'd persisted with my question about whether is it was advisable and/or permissable to delete a shared database's name from the "Databases" (NON-shared) box once it was established in the "Shared Databases" box....<snip>...

Okay, it's not working. I deleted the two databases from the "Shared" box on the Desktop's sync settings.

I then delete the two databases on the iPhone and run a sync ...the databases re-appear on the phone.

I have not yet involved the iPad on which these databases still reside.
UPDATE NOTE: I deleted the two databases on the iPad and then synced it and they seem to be GONE. I've re-sync'ed and they have not returned TO THE IPAD.

BOTH files keep re-appearing on the iPhone and now have re-appeared in the "Shared Databases" section of the Edit Sync Settings window. :evil:
MidCoast Jim

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

Hi,

The best method for deleting the files is as follows:

1. Open HanDBase for iPhone to the database selection screen
2. Tap and hold on whichever database you want to delete
3. When the row of management options appears, tap the Delete option and agree to the prompt
4. Repeat for any other database you want to delete
5. *Then* sync with the desktop
6. The conduit will move the files to the /Documents/HanDBase/*/Archive/ folder
(this is done as a means of keeping them against accidental deletion)
7. Use your computer's file manager to delete the files you don't want from the Archive folder and optionally empty your trash/recycle bin

Note: * will be the name of the device partnership

If you do this with shared databases, also browse to their original location, ie /Desktop/MyGreatDatabases/ to verify the files have been deleted. If memory serves you will have to manually delete those files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:19 am

Hi there,

The "Device is Leader" is a great simplification to remember how a normal sync works. If you're not using the Shared database setup, it's always the case. So on a normal database, if you want to delete it, you'd delete the file on the iPhone. Brian gave you the tips to delete a database, but he mixed some Android stuff in there (probably out of habit as Android is his primary device of choice!). You don't tap and hold but rather press the ... button to reveal the delete option.

But for Shared databases, the shared settings are what rules. This is because you often want a database to install to the other devices as they sync, and so having to manually do so would be troublesome in large installations. So to delete in a shared database, there are actually three steps:

1. Delete the database on the mobile device.
2. Delete the Shared database in the Sync Settings within the conduit.
3. Delete the database from the desktop shared folder.

Pretty much deleting in both locations and the sync setting in this case!
dhaupert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Oops, my apologies... indeed, you'll want to tap the three dots (...) as Dave mentioned. He's right that I'm on Android more often than not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby MidCoast Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:35 am

I've been having trouble successfully deleting a datbase from the "Shared Database" section of the "iPhone Sync Settings" popup window in the HDB Desktop

I UN-click the "Share this database with other iPhone users" and the
iPhone_Sync_1.JPG
iPhone_Sync_1.JPG (91.31 KiB) Viewed 1470 times

Powder.pdb obediently disappears from the "Shared" window.
iPhone_Sync_2.JPG
iPhone_Sync_2.JPG (41.05 KiB) Viewed 1470 times

But, then when I close the "Settings" window and then re-open it the Powder.pdb is back in the "Shared" window and "Share this database with other iPhone users" on the right is re-checked.

How do I get the "UNshare" choice to stick?

Jim
PS - my battle to fully and finally delete shred databases from the iPhone/iPad/Desktop has continued. The constant return of unwanted databases seems to have been related to the \Install\ folder and I am starting a New Topic on that subject
MidCoast Jim

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 am

Hi,

Have you deleted the database from the computer prior to unchecking the option?

Also, when you click on the unshare option, also click on the Delete Settings button in the upper right corner of the dialog.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch