Sync Issue

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Sync Issue

Postby dayjeff » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm

I recently took a file, deleted a group of students (those who graduated) and re titled the document using the "save as" feature. When I synchronized my device, HanDBase save the document to both the backup and archive folders but NOT to the desktop or the iPhone. What have I missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dayjeff

Re: Sync Issue

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Someone here worded this better the other day but the simple reason is that the iPhone is the master when a sync happens- in order to track the differences between files in the folders, we have to have one side be the master in the decision making. What this means is that if you add a database to the iPhone side, it will be synced to the desktop. If you add one to the desktop side, it will not be synced for the reason that to the conduit it appears that there is a file on the desktop that is not on the iPhone. This situation appears just like the situation where the iPhone has deleted a database (ie, the iPhone doesn't have this database, and the desktop does). So since the iPhone is the master, it treats it as that situation.

Thus on the desktop if you want to add a file to the iPhone you can't just simply save it to the sync folder. You can however just save it to the install folder under the sync folder. Anything in that folder will install to the iPhone on the sync. In fact if you select 'File| Install to Smartphone/Handheld' from the File menu, you'll basically be choosing which folder's install folder to put the file in. On the next sync, those files are installed first to the iPhone and then the normal sync happens. Since the iPhone has the file at this point, that file will be backed up to the Sync folder or synced with an existing file if there is one.

Hope this all makes sense and solves this puzzle for you!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch