iOS 8 and the new iPhones

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 am

I hope everyone is doing well in the HanDBase community. I wanted to start a discussion regarding HanDBase and the new hardware/software from Apple for those of us who rely heavily on HanDBase both professionally and personally:

1) Might there be any issues with upgrading to iOS 8 with HanDBase?

2) HanDBase on a larger screen iPhone, will that mean a larger text size, seeing more of a field's display or none of the above?

3) Are HanDBase users going to gravitate to the 4.7" size or the 5.5" size?

4) Will HanDBase on the 5.5" screen run more like the iPad version?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Dan
Dlevymd1

Postby ArGiEs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm looking to get the 6+, for a variety of reasons. The two advantages I'm looking forward to in using HB on that device is a) more data per screen view, or, on the other side of the coin, b)same amount of text/data as on my 5S except larger font, to help cut down on the need for reading glasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: iOS 8 and the new iPhones

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 am

Hi,

As it stands on the simulator, the screen is just basically blown up bigger in HanDBase. I'm sure I can do something on the development end to make it show more data at the same dpi, but I know for many people, myself included, having an easier time reading the data will be most welcome!

I made the decision to wait and see and hold the devices to pick between the two- I think the 6+ would be preferable in use, but the pocketability is something I need to see and try for myself. I know I always notice that Samsung Note users typically have holsters on their belts and I don't want to resort to doing that.. ;)
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 am

Here is a link to a pdf that has full size pictures of the iPhone 6 and 6+. You can print it, cut them out, and see how they look to you. You can use foam or something like that to get the thickness too, but at least the pdf will give you the size dimensions.

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/original ... 557504.jpg

Personally, I would rather have a 5" screen, but I will be getting the iPhone 6+ when I can. It's a little bigger than I want, but I already have a 4.79" Android and that screen is a little small. Plus I want the bigger battery, and Optical Image Stabilization that the iPhone 6+ offers.

But these are my wants/opinions. Your mileage may vary :D
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:20 am

Hi again,

I saw a similar page that showed the 5s, 6 and 6+ in real size:

http://cdn6.loopinsight.com/wp-content/ ... -Sizes.jpg

When I viewed it on my browser though the 6 matched the size of my 5s and I had to zoom to 125% to get it to be a 1:1 representation. From the pics and these diagrams, the 6+ doesn't seem to be too big to keep in a pocket, but I still want to try things out.

BTW, one iOS8 bug was found last night - if you are in a form and there is a field with a numeric keypad and you switch to the text keypad, there is a scroll error and the screen shows the toolbar at the top. you can tap the down button on the toolbar and then reselect the field, but I will definitely get this fixed. Going to wait a few days and see if any other weird bugs pop up to submit though, unless something comes that is a big of a showstopper..
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:04 pm

I was originally intending to get the 6 for the very reason of it being able (I assume) to fit into my shirt pocket; however, once I saw the screen size of the 6+ and realized how much easier viewing forms, tables, and images in general on the internet on it could be I decided that it would be worth it to start using a holster again. Longer battery life and speedier processor are, of course, always welcome improvements!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby ArGiEs » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 am

A question and a comment: Dave, do have any plans for the file-sharing-between-apps capability? Nothing specific in my mind, just curious. Also: remember that feature that I've asked about a number of times, where after dialing a number from the dialing field, and the phone app closes, that the display would return back to HanDBase? Well, you may not need to do anything now. I was calling this morning from HB and, lo and behold, the display kept returning to HB - every time. An unannounced change, I guess. It returns to whatever app one is dialing from. I made some calls from the Pocket Informant app this morning also, and it returns to Pocket Informant. Nice! It's ironic - I was correspnding with Alex Kak of Pocket Informant about that feature and he kept telling me over and over that it couldn't be done. Now, it appears that Apple has taken care of all that [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:45 am

Hi,

You can currently pass off data in CSV format to other apps and import CSV. You can also pass off forms in PDF format.

Any app that allows for importing of CSV structured text can theoretically receive data sent via the open in option.

We probably are not going to expand past these options for the current iteration, but we are open to hearing suggestions that we can consider going forward.

Regarding the return after dial option, Dave will have to comment on that one. I wonder if Alex of PI implemented a "workaround" or if there was an actual hook introduced to the OS for this type of action.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ArGiEs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I use the CSV transfer all the time (sending field data to events in Pocket Informant). I don't even remember exactly what I was thinking when I posted that question anymore.

When I first started using Pocket informant on an iPhone (no longer on just an iPod touch) I found that when you dialed out of PI, the screen would return to PI after hanging up. When v. 4.0 was released that no longer happened; after some correspondence with Mr. Kak about it, he explained that they somehow used the browser in the former process. Apparently v. 4.0 changed all that. He said flat out he tried and tried to find a way to do that and that it just couldn't be done. Now, what we're seeing here in iOS8 is when the the call is terminated the screen returns to whatever was last "underneath" the call. If I dial out of HanDBase, and in the middle of the call leave HB and launch Pocket Informant, the screen will return to PI, and not HB, when I hang up. Much more practical for me than it returning to the phone app

Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby susearnaut » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:49 am

I've just updated to iOS 8 and since then my hand base for iPad and for iPhone don't work . I can't wright new information. Does anyone know what do I have do do to fix it???
Thanks in advance
Suse
susearnaut

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch