Plans for beefing up Mac Desktop version?

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Plans for beefing up Mac Desktop version?

Postby njw » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am

I've been a hanDBase user for years going back to my Palm days. When I moved to iPhone, hanDBase was one of the first apps I loaded. I made the switch to a Mac in December, and I'm terribly disappointed that the desktop Mac version is so weak. It is virtually useless for a power user like myself. Please tell me that there are plans to bring this version up to the same level as the Win desktop.

Neil Wallace
Fort Worth, TX
njw

Re: Plans for beefing up Mac Desktop version?

Postby V.S. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:56 am

I completely agree!!

I've been waiting for a good version of HanDbase Mac so that I can use it extensively.
The Mac version is too basic and restricts the use of HanDbase to the fullest.
V.S.

Postby jonboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:18 am

Bump for same request.

Please Dave, help us out here. Us Mac users are hungry for a more souped version of the desktop software.

Please...

Jonathan
jonboy

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi Jonathan (and others),

I am a Mac user myself and the developer of all of our apps, and I completely agree!

Each year in January I plan out my development goals for the year for DDH and HanDBase for Mac is always on the list. It's been my goal for about 5 years to make it a full featured standalone program that could compete as a viable alternative to Bento (which is no longer available as of a few days ago!). Then the year passes by and I've barely put any time into development of it because I have been so busy with iPhone, iPad, and Android work.

Last year I purchased a very expensive compiler that allowed for cross platform development between Mac and Windows. The tests I did were very convincing that the output would feel at home on Mac and not look like the Wine version I offer Mac users for free- quite the contrary the apps look and feel native to Mac and in fact, are because the compiler generates code and UI for XCode to compile. Unfortunately even with that tool I have not been able to work on it this year. And of course now the tool is out of date and I would need to spend another thousand dollars to get the latest version that builds for Mavericks!

I definitely have plans to bring the following to the Mac version in the future:

Encryption support
DB properties support (ie, designing databases, views, etc)
Relational database support
Cloud sync support (when added to the mobile device).

Ideally I'd love to have a forms designer for it as well but I would hope to deliver on the above first. That all said, I have several projects ahead of this in the pipeline- Forms for Android is what I'm working on now, then the cloud sync solution for iOS and Android is next. After that I hope to be able to put some time in the Mac version again. I can't make any promises as often other more urgent or high-demand opportunities arise and I have to downgrade the priority for the Mac version. But I am just sharing you my hopes and current goals for the HanDBase platform.

Sorry I don't have news that is more concrete or sooner availability for these updates. All the same, I hope my candid response will be helpful to you!
dhaupert

Postby jonboy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:31 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for comprehensive reply.
Clearly you are a very busy man, and from what you are saying, DDH is a small company?
Here's hoping that, come this January, the Mac version will top your list!

Let us live in hope.

Regards,

Jonathan
jonboy

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 am

Yes, DDH is very small- currently just myself and Brian who works part time on the technical side of things. We also have a part time bookkeeper but that's about it!
dhaupert

Postby UKenGB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Any news on when we might see relational ability and forms designer in the OSX version?

Also, syncing seems somewhat convoluted at the moment. You (Dave) mentioned working on cloud sync, but does that mean iCloud? For Mac users that really is THE way to go. Whatever you do on any 'connected' devices gets updated to all the other devices - automatically. Yet it would still be useable on e.g. an iPhone when out of touch with the 'Net as there would be a local copy of the data. This is EXACTLY what is required. Is Handbase moving towards iCloud sync?
UKenGB

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi there,

Indeed a cloud sync is being worked on. I had hoped to be finished with it in the spring but had to take on some outside projects. That said, it's still in development and I hope to have an additional option for those that trust and embrace the cloud. I don't specify iCloud because it won't be restricted to iCloud- we have to support other platforms like Android and Windows and so a cloud solution must work for all devices. That doesn't mean iCloud won't be supported as an option, my hope is to let iOS and Mac only users specify using iCloud if they so desire since there is no setup required.

Sorry I don't have more information on this at this point but hopefully will have more news to share before the year's end!
dhaupert

Postby Amy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

I, too, am very eager for an update to the Mac desktop version.

Any additional features are secondary to me. I just wish it were less awkward to use for data entry!!

I was driven to use Bento because of that awkwardness. Even then, I only put about a third of my databases into Bento. And now I'm back to looking at using HanDBase solely. HanDBase is much more useable on the small screen, in the areas of display, creation, and manipulation.

If you don't have time to make the wonderful upgrades you dream of, could you please start with making the desktop version merely smoother to use? Like tabbing between fields? I'm mostly hoping for standard things like that. I don't need it to be relational. I only really NEED it to not slow me down in using it.

Please, please, please. :D
Amy

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the post. Can you provide me with a wish list of usability improvements for your needs? I get the one for tabbing, wondering what else you had in mind? I can certainly entertain these sorts of things much more quickly than the other larger changes!
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for Mac