Templates, Renaming, etc

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Templates, Renaming, etc

Postby wab » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:16 am

I've created a trip expense database on the desktop that I'm calling a template. Then I thought that to create one for an individual trip, I could just take that template and "save as" with an upcoming trip name. Unfortunately, that isn't working. I'm able to save under the new name and the new db shows up in the directory with windows, but when I goto that directory with HanDBase it only shows one database with the template name. Same on the BB, even though I queued up the new DB for installation. What am I doing wrong?
wab

Re: Templates, Renaming, etc

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:58 am

Hi there,

The file name is not a 1:1 link to the database name. When you create a new database, you give it a name and then when the file is saved, it defaults to databasename.PDB. But you can then save as whatever file name you want. The database name is still stored within the DB Properties|General section.

So if you want to truly create a new database from the file and not just a backup on your desktop, here's what you should do:

On the desktop, select Configure, DB Properties, General
Change the name to your new file name.
Select OK, and then OK again.
Choose File, Save As and give it the appropriate name (matching or otherwise).
You will likely be prompted then to install to a smartphone or handheld. Choose your BlackBerry if you would like it installed there and then sync to get it installed.

hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: Templates, Renaming, etc

Postby wab » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 am

That would explain it. Thanks very much.
wab

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry