Can I sync Handbase between ipad and iphone without desktop?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Re: Can I sync Handbase between ipad and iphone without desk

Postby Alanwestwood » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 am

With the release of iCloud Drive in iOS8, this is a good thread to revive, Brian (M) - thanks for that!

At present I sync between devices (I have an iPhone 5s and iPad Air, both using iOS 8.1.2) in one of two ways, both using Open-In. You can do it directly from device to device or via Dropbox, it doesn't matter to HanDBase. But this is a manual sync, so you have to save or transfer the changed database after every use. Not ideal, but it works, and I'll add a footnote about how that's done in case you don't know.

So, I'd like to ask Dave and Brian H at HanDBase - is HanDBase going to support iCloud Drive? It seems sensible to me to use the new iOS embedded infrastructure, because this would effectively be an automatic sync - rather than using a desktop conduit or web server for the database syncing. It would also be better than using an 'old' iCloud-type sync in my opinion both because it would be automatic and because we could select which databases we wanted to be automatically synced and which we want solely held on one device or not shared over the airways. I might add that I've always hated the old fashioned web server method, though I accept that at one time there were few alternatives. Using email is nearly as bad - very tedious and I end up with a mailbox full of replicated copies of large databases. But Open-In and Airdrop has moved all that to the scrap yard as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers, Alan.

Footnote to Brian M.
To sync from device to device just tap the ... next to the database name in the database list, then select Open-In and choose the HanDBase file option. If you have another device switched on it will be listed in the Airdrop panel, or you can just select Open-In and save to Dropbox. On the other device Airdrop will normally load straight to HanDBase and you'll be asked whether you want to replace or merge with the existing database if it's already present. With Dropbox you just select the file on the other device and open it with HanDBase.

NB if you use the Forms add-on you'll have to transfer the form by emailing it to yourself whenever you change it - at present there are no other options for that, except the antiquated web server, which I simply refuse to use for transfer between iOS devices because it's so hard to set up (you can't use iOS Safari because it can't transfer files, so you have to use iCab or similar alternative browser - it's a total pain, so I suggest email).
Alanwestwood

Postby curtterp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:37 am

BMaskell wrote:Is the cloud sync discussed above available now?
I have a whole hotchpotch of HandBase files on my iPad, and my iPhone. I have no idea how to synchronize them.
You talk about emailing the files. When I try this it asks for text or CSV. IF I USE text, it just prints on the email. If I use CSV I get a excel style file that has no obvious resemblance to any HandBase files.
If I knew how to email the current files it would be helpful... But I don't see that as really a sync.....
I am sorry to be dense. But I am completely confused.

There is discussion above about Dropbox. But how do I set that up for HandBase. I have several apps that sync through Dropbox, and they seem to work rather straightforwardly.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.
Brian Madkell

Brian - You are not dense, I call it inexperience. We have all been there at one point or another.

The selections to email (Text or csv) that you are seeing, is that you are trying to email records of a database, not the database itself. That happens when you have the database open to the view records screen.

You email the database from the database selection screen. It is easiest to have the File Cabinet Style, but it also works in the Modern Style too.

File Cabinet Style - When you press on a database name, that brings up a menu below the name. Choose email at that point, and your default email will show a new message with the database.pdb already attached.

Modern Style - Instead of pressing on the database name, press on the three dots "..." all the way to the right on the screen. This will bring up the menu of choices and you choose email there. That will bring up a new message with the database attached.

At this point, you just pop an email address into the TO field and send it off.

On the other device, open the email and press on the database file (once it is done downloading). That brings up a Open in dialog box, choose HanDBase at that point.

If the database does not exist on the device, HanDBase will add it to the databases on the device.

If the database does exist, you get a choice to
  • Skip Receiving this database
  • Overwrite Existing Database with this one
  • Merge the changes from this one

Merge will be the one you use the most. The changes will sync on the device.

Now if you enter data in both devices, you will need to email the database twice. Once from the iPhone to iPad, then after merging, email from the iPad to the iPhone, merging that direction as well. This insures that the data on both devices are current with each other.

By retaining only the last email, you have a current backup of that database in your email. That way, your email doesn't get clogged up with many databases.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:02 am

General information for everyone

We know that Dave has been working on an iCloud solution for possible automatic syncing for a while now. With the introduction of iCloud Drive with iOS 8, this could be a setback to Dave's work on that. The possible pain points here is that there could be differences in how to access the iCloud programmatically. Why is that a problem? It would cause Dave to have a version that is iOS 8 only, and a version that works below iOS 8. From what I have seen, the two are not compatible (using different commands). The adoption rate of iOS 8 is only 66% the last I saw. I also know that there is at least one HanDBase user that still has not upgraded from iOS 6. So Dave has a mix of users from iOS 6 to iOS 8.

This also might set back the implementation of using iCloud as a sync tool for now, while Dave looks into how he wants to attack the problem from his perspective.

I am not speaking for Dave, and I hope that he comes out at some point to give us an idea of what he is looking at, but just bringing up some points in case people are wanting the solution now.

For what its worth, the iCloud drive works pretty slick. I had cause to try it out when I ran out of places to put MAC address's in one of my wireless access points. Between myself, my wife, and one of her kids, his girlfriend, and their daughter, I had to get an idea of which MAC address's are currently used, and which ones I could get rid of because that equipment is no longer being used. By using Numbers and putting it into the iCloud drive, I could walk around the house, checking MAC address's of different devices being used, putting them into the spreadsheet on my iPhone, then opening that file up on my Mac to check what is available and which I could knock out. So I am confident that once Dave has a solution in place, it will work pretty slick in the iCloud drive. That is my 2 cents.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Alanwestwood » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks Curt, very handy info. I can totally see the issue with regard to support for earlier system releases, but from my perspective 66% uptake of iOS8 is pretty good this early. Also, I don't think users can reasonably expect all new developments to be backdated to their OS or device - that's simply not possible or reasonable in my personal opinion.

That's why I asked about iCloud Drive. To me, it looks the way to go for a database shared across devices. Like you, I have been using the Apple Office suite with it, and it works really well - it's going to be as important as Open-In and Airdrop for users like myself that now use iOS only, with no Mac or PC at all (though of course with FileBrowser I can connect to any Mac or PC with ease to share files). For apps that used it, the old iCloud sync worked well too, but HanDBase never got there and for my tuppence worth (I'm a Brit :D ) may as well go straight to the Drive now - it gives much more control to the user than iCloud syncing.

It's timely that Brian M has revived this topic, and really good that it's being discussed, and I hope more users will chip in.

Cheers, Alan.
Last edited by Alanwestwood on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alanwestwood

Postby curtterp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:44 am

Alanwestwood wrote:Thanks Curt, very handy info. I can totally see the issue with regard to support for earlier system releases, but from my perspective 66% uptake of iOS8 is pretty good this early. Also, I don't think users can reasonably expect all new developments to be backdated to their OS or device - that's simply not possible or reasonable in my personal opinion.

That's why I asked about iCloud Drive. To me, it looks the way to go for a database shared across devices. Like you, I have been using the Apple Office suite with it, and it works really well - it's going to be as important as Open-In and Airdrop for users like myself that now use iOS only, with no Mac or PC at all (though of course with FileBrowser I can connect to any Mac or PC with ease to share files). For apps that used it, the old iCloud sync worked well too, but HanDBase never got there and for my tuppence worth (I'm a Brit :D ) may as well go straight to the Drive now - it gives much control to the user than iCloud syncing.

It's timely that Brian M has revived this topic, and really good that it's being discussed, and I hope more users will chip in.

Cheers, Alan.

Airdrop and iCloud Drive both work between iSO 8 and Mac OSX 10.10.1......

But Dave doesn't abandon older tech either...... I think that he is looking for a solution for both ways, unless the old iCloud just doesn't have the gumption to be able to do it.

I am interested in what Dave will say when he finally chimes in :D
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby Alanwestwood » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 pm

curtterp wrote:Airdrop and iCloud Drive both work between iSO 8 and Mac OSX 10.10.1......

Yep, but I connect to PCs more often than Macs, so I use FileBrowser for PCs and for Macs with an older OS.

curtterp wrote:But Dave doesn't abandon older tech either...... I think that he is looking for a solution for both ways, unless the old iCloud just doesn't have the gumption to be able to do it.

Fair enough, but it's been a long wait for iCloud syncing and my guess is that it will be easier to support the new Drive feature. It would be a shame for support for the Drive to be delayed so that a solution for all users back to iOS6 or even 7 can be found. Clearly I am much less happy with the email solution than you, but it is there for users of older devices.

curtterp wrote:I am interested in what Dave will say when he finally chimes in :D

Me too :)

Thanks again, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby tommunch » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:08 am

I'm anxious for a cloud sync solution too, but until that I'd like to use Dropbox as you mention doing it to overwrite from my iPhone to my iPad or email to possibly overwrite. I tried overwriting by email, and it only gave the option to merge, and that messed up the database on my iPad. Can you give us a timeline for cloud sync release or a little more instruction on how to use email or Dropbox for syncing and preferably (for me) overwriting.
tommunch

Postby Aaron Cook » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:17 am

Hi Leonsphinx,
According to your question, u'r tired of the way of transferring data. I am willing to recommend you a software: iPhone Transfer. By this software, you can not only view files inside your iOS devices, but transfer data between an iPad and an iPhone seamlessly as well. What' more, it is very easy to use, just within simple steps. So you will never worry if it is hard to use. Also, if you are still confused about how to operate, there are a lot of guidance articles about how to transfer data between iOS devices.
Hope this will help you.
Aaron Cook

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPad