Vote for the Features you want most in HanDBase for Android

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: Vote for the Features you want most in HanDBase for Andr

Postby Massimo Testa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 am

Benji wrote:forms, forms and more forms.

I don't think that's enough, this is better:
FORMS, FORMS and MORE FORMS! ;)

One week ago I bought Nexus 7, three days ago I bought HandBase, using my dropbox account I downloaded my Palm databases and they worked without problems, but I'm missing absolutely FORMS. Would you help me?
Greetings,

Massimo Testa - Italy
Massimo Testa

Postby Avi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

Just so it doesn't drop off the radar, my first choice is for UNICODE support, second for forms ....

-avi
Avi

Postby mjhanna » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I am a new customer with an SG4, and came from the Palm days where I used ThinkDB then Smartlist to Go.

I just purchased both the Android HanDBase and the desktop companion based on Dave's post here about Forms for the Android where he said last month: "I still hope for a release this month but it may fall into October". (I presume he meant October this year? :D )

While I want Forms, I REALLY want to be able to move the databases themselves to the SG4 external SDcard. My many databases can get really big, and I expect I will run out of space on the device, even though I bought the bigger 32G version. Currently HanDBase DBs are stored in:
Code: Select all
/storage/emulated/0/HanDBase
I would very much prefer to store them in:
Code: Select all
/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/HanDBase

So my vote is for a single Settings field on the Android to specify the folder where HanDBase will look for all the databases. If this Settings field was empty, or was an invalid/non-existent folder name, then the current default would be used. (I did search the Forums for a way to do this, but all posts seem to imply that the folder path is hard-coded into the app.)
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby dhaupert » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the group! The reason I hard code the directory is that the conduit needs to know where to look for it. This is the wired conduit which has to act independently of the app since there is no intercommunication with the app for that to run. The wifi conduit on the other hand uses the app to do all of the heavy lifting, which was by design so that I could eventually migrate to a user defined location. If I made it user defined now, the wired conduit would break. Perhaps I can add a setting with a warning that if you use the wired conduit it will only work in the default folder. That should work for 99% of users I'd think especially as the old pre 3.0 devices start being replaced with ones that can't use that conduit anyway!
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks, Dave, for considering my "Wish". While my desire for "Forms" comes first, being able to move the databases to the external card comes a close second. As a retired IT professional (but still doing consulting work), I fully understand your reasons for the current hard-coded directory. However, I hope you can/will implement your idea of: "a setting with a warning that if you use the wired conduit it will only work in the default folder". This seems like a workable solution while still being "backwards compatible". Looking forward to this capability (right after Forms :D ).
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby mjhanna » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Now that I have a couple of my Palm databases ported for testing, I observe the lack of an option to change Fonts and Colors on the Android as others reported in this post from over two years ago. If the upcoming Forms will [also] include providing this capability, then great. But if not, then I would add my vote/wish for this feature.
Michael
mjhanna

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:34 am

Hello,

Thanks for writing. These options have not yet been implemented. The forms addon will include the option for custom coloring on the edit record screens (forms) but no list view formatting unless those changes sneak in (note that I am not saying they will).

mjhanna wrote:Now that I have a couple of my Palm databases ported for testing, I observe the lack of an option to change Fonts and Colors on the Android as others reported in this post from over two years ago. If the upcoming Forms will [also] include providing this capability, then great. But if not, then I would add my vote/wish for this feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Tungsten » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:05 am

Hi,

Not sure if this had been requested before but it would be great to see a grid on the form edit screen.

Preferably with 'snap to grid' ability. Would make text boxes, lables etc so much easier to layout.

Regards

Tungsten
Tungsten

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Great suggestion, Tungsten. I will make sure it gets on the feature request list!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Alanwestwood » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:31 pm

+1 for iOS - great idea !!
Alanwestwood

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android