I surrender

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

I surrender

Postby Avi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 am

Howdy all,

My venerable Windows Mobile Professional device (HTC Advantage) is getting a little long in the tooth, and I need a platform that will support HanDBase with non-European languages - this pretty much means Windows, since I understand Dave isn't getting to the major overhaul that will allow use of Unicode characters anytime soon, for understandable reasons.

So I surrender, can't wait any more.

But I need to be able to put it in my pocket. So I think I'm looking at something running Windows 8.1, right? HanDBase will do non-European languages in Windows 8.1, won't it?

I'm looking for suggestions, and for those with the patience to read through, here's my wish list:

(BTW, If I didn't feel compelled to do this, I would be seriously considering replacing my old, slow, but perfectly o.k. Dell Streak with something like a Note4, just to have a new toy, but that won't do non-Unicode HanDBase either)

If there was one Windows device that could also serve as a smart phone, that would be ideal. I don't know of such a device, simply because the Windows 8.1 OS doesn't seem to support phone functions, but if it did, I think I could do everything else that I currently do in Android, through a browser, or other apps, and drop Android altogether.

Because I appear to be stuck carrying two devices, the Windows device has to still be small (pocketable), ideally screen size 5"-6". I could live with 7", I think, since it's usually in a pouch that I sling over my shoulder or behind my back. With this small a screen, and no "Slide-It" app for windows, a physical keyboard (outboard blue-tooth could work) would probably be an advantage.

Ideally, it would have:

all day battery life and a removable battery
Gorilla glass
mobile data radio (cellular data), WIFI
standard charging connection
decent (bright) video
lot's of ROM and RAM, and a fast microprocessor

important but not deal-breakers:

telephone functions
GPS
some kind of camera
slot for SD-card memory expansion
a way to connect to a printer in my support van
fingerprint unlock
some degree of sturdiness/dust resistance (I'm a farmer)

I bet I'm not the only one looking for this. Anyone have any suggestions?

-avi
Avi

Re: I surrender

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:55 am

Hi,

I feel so bad that you are having to try to find a specialized device just to run HanDBase with a non-Euro language. It says a lot of your dedication as a HanDBase user. I hope someday I'll be able to revisit and have a unicode compatible HanDBase for you on some platform!

re: Windows 8.1 based phones, I'm not aware of any, though there are a bunch of low cost tablets that run Win 8.1 now. By low cost, I mean under 200.00 US. Not sure if you're willing to go that big though, certainly not pocket-fitting devices, but definitely very portable.

I still own an OQO from about 10 years ago, which was a Windows Vista based computer and about the size of an iPhone 6 (though quite a bit thicker). It was way ahead of it's time and not very practical as a result (far from instant on times- sometimes took a minute to be responsive when restoring from a sleep, battery life was poor due to lots of heat and energy used on the CPU). But oh, the keyboard that slid out was unmatched! If they had stayed around or waited until now, I could totally see them doing a 5" phone that was full windows!

Sorry I don't have any better answers.
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Totally agree, Dave, I still use my OQO and wish the company had survived.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Avi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:21 am

Yeah, the HTC has a pretty good keyboard too, but it has given me a scare a couple times lately.

And Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, if I can, get like a 7"tablet, cheap, just for HanDBase. and BTW, my work pants have pretty big pockets ....

But I didn't get a clear answer: will such a device in fact run HanDBase properly using non-European languages?

And a new question: how would you propose I set up a regime for synchronizing with my office computer's HanDBase (still running XP - but don't tell any hackers)? i think the version I own on it is Pro for Windows Mobile - what version should I buy for the tablet?

-avi
Avi

Postby mjhanna » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:19 am

Dave did answer your question, but it may not have been obvious. He said HanDBase is not Unicode compatible. Unicode is required to express non-European characters. The issue is not the device, it is HanDBase.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Avi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 am

Michael, I've been using HanDBase for years, since Palm days, and it works fine with non-unicode characters in my old Windows XP desktop, I'm guessing because every other encoding imaginable is available.

I just wanted to verify that this will continue to be the case in Windows 8.1.

and BTW, in Palm devices, and Windows Mobile devices, we also got it to work just fine with non-European characters. It's only on the more modern mobile/portable OSs like Android and Apple that it isn't possible.

-avi
Avi

Return to HanDBase for Windows