CAN'T GET THE DATABASE TO WORK

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

CAN'T GET THE DATABASE TO WORK

Postby patemerson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:57 am

I downloaded handbase for Windows on a MAC ($14.99). I can open the database and do a few clicks on the mouse then everything freezes up. I have parallels so could run the windows version but am just so confused. Cant get anything to work. the Iphone database works but I want to import a csv file and have it on my mac as well. Would I bet better off to use the windows version? The download said to get X11 which I did but still things just don't work.
patemerson

Re: CAN'T GET THE DATABASE TO WORK

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi,

Thanks for writing.

Honestly, it has been a while since I used Parallels on my Mac, but there isn't any reason that I can think of why the Windows version of HanDBase Desktop would not work within Windows via Parallels.

With that said, if you don't spend a lot of time in Parallels I would forego that environment for the native version of HanDBase Desktop for Mac, which is suitable for basic editing and importing / exporting of CSV structured data, or the custom Windows version of HanDBase Desktop that will run on a Mac. It is true that X11 has to be installed, but once it has been installed you can install the custom version and use it without any issues. I've had no problems with it on my MacBook Pro over the years. It does take a few moments for X11 to start and the windowing environment is slightly different than a traditional Mac program, but these are minor items.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby josz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:18 am

The example databases will not open. Guess its a bug.
josz

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 am

josz wrote:The example databases will not open. Guess its a bug.

Sorry to read about the problem you are encountering.

Got a couple of questions for you:

- What steps are you taking to attempt to open the databases?
- What happens when you attempt to open? For example, does an error appear, does nothing happen, etc?
- Do any databases open properly?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Mac