Adding fields on iPhone, syncing them to Mac--how??

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Adding fields on iPhone, syncing them to Mac--how??

Postby marymc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Forgive me if this is a dead-obvious question--I just bought HanDBase Plus for my Mac and HanDBase for my iPhone, and I'm still at the fumbling stage.

I've created a database on my iPhone (there's no way to create them on the Mac, am I correct? If so, how??) and synced it to my Mac. I started entering records on the Mac, and have successfully synced them back and forth a few times, making changes to individual records both places. I was also able to add new popups to an existing list for a popup field, and have those sync. The database now has about 50 records--too many for me to want to start over!

Now I want to add an additional field to the database. It doesn't seem possible to do that on the Mac (again, if I'm missing this capability there, please help me out--there also doesn't seem to be much documentation for the Mac version!), so I've added the field on the iPhone. It's a pop-up field, and I created a new list of pop-ups for it. Now, I just can't figure out how to transfer the database version containing the new field to the Mac. Under "Edit Sync Settings" on the Mac I tried checking "iPhone/iPad Data Overwrites Desktop"--didn't work. Likewise, "One Way Sync: iPhone/iPad Records to Desktop Only"--nothing happened. The newly-added field remained on the iPhone, but it didn't show up on the Mac. When I resorted to selecting "Install File to Smartphone/Handheld" under the Mac File menu with one of those sync settings checked, just to see what would happen, it deleted the version of the database with the new field from my iPhone.

So am I really stuck with only the fields I thought to put in the database when I created it, before I added any records? Is there no way to add new fields to an existing database without starting over?
marymc

Re: Adding fields on iPhone, syncing them to Mac--how??

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:53 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

First, HanDBase Desktop for Mac can create databases but it is limited to doing so via the importing of a CSV or tab delimited text file, with no possibility of editing the structure beyond. For this reason it is best to do database design on the iPhone.

Next, the conduit should detect a structural change and copy the updated database across but it may not be doing so for a small number of reasons, most likely which is a bug. I'll look into that.

In the meantime, do the following:

- Open the Finder file manager on your Mac
- Browse to /Documents/HanDBase
- Open the folder named after your iPhone
- Find the database in question
- Move it to your computer's desktop
- Sync your iPhone again

The database on the iPhone will then copy to the computer.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby marymc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks!! That worked.
marymc

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 am

Glad to be able to help.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Mac