synchronizing two Windows-based "desktops"?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Re: synchronizing two Windows-based "desktops"?

Postby Gab-Hop » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:52 pm

I have set up two partnerships so far and I found that if I just changed one of the numbers or letters in the device.txt for each user the files would be recognized as a different user by the sync conduit
That way I am able to leave in all the mapped drives
Does this sound right

By the way is there any way to make the Android device a mapped network drive when it's plugged into the pc as this would make conventional syncing a lot easier
Gab-Hop

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:01 am

Gab-Hop wrote:I have set up two partnerships so far and I found that if I just changed one of the numbers or letters in the device.txt for each user the files would be recognized as a different user by the sync conduit
That way I am able to leave in all the mapped drives
Does this sound right

By the way is there any way to make the Android device a mapped network drive when it's plugged into the pc as this would make conventional syncing a lot easier

Changing the ID Number in the deviceid.txt should work. I'm just not sure how the HanDBase Conduit searches for the Drive when you are setting up a new Partnership. I wasn't sure if it might see the first mapped drive and give an error saying that user already has a Partnership. You definitely will need a different ID Number in the deviceid.txt file for each different partnership.

As far as mapping the Android Device as a drive. If your Android devices have a version of the Operating System above 3.0 then No, this is not possible. That pretty much means any Android device released in the past few yers. Prior to version 3.0 this was actually the only way that the HanDBase Conduit worked. You could connect your device and it would show up as a Drive automatically on your computer. Then when setting up the partnership you would choose the first option "USB Cable" and it would work as if it were a mapped drive. When Google updated the OS to 3.0 they removed that option, to consider the Android device Mass Media Storage. That's when Dave at DDH Software added the options for WiFi Syncing and Memory Card syncing.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby Avi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:47 am

DavidDevaneyJr wrote:Hello Avi,
..I only tested this between two windows computers so this might not work as well if you continue to use the HTC Advantage Windows Mobile device as well. It should be do-able though, but you might have to modify the configuration somewhat.

Since the Asus device is basically replacing your HTC Advantage, based on one of your previous posts, I would continue to consider that the "Mobile" device. So technically all you would need on that is the HanDBase Desktop, although if you do create and edit Forms, and want to do so on the Asus, you'd at least need a version of HanDBase Professional on that. Either way I would suggest installing your current version of HanDBase Pro for Windows Mobile on the Asus, to avoid having to purchase too many additional programs.
..Then I'd say to continue to consider your current XP Desktop your Desktop, as it is now. For that computer you'll need to get a copy of either HanDBase Professional Add-on for Android, if you want to create an edit Forms on your desktop. OR, if you don't create and edit forms you can just get HanDBase Plus Add-on for Android....Then install that software onto your current XP Desktop...
Best of Luck to you.

David

Hi David,

I am FINALLY getting around to (read "getting up the nerve to") doing this, and a question occurred to me: while I am in transition from the old setup to the new (and knowing me, this could take a while) I want to be able to continue to record data in the Windows Mobile device, and synchronize that with my existing databases. Ideally, I'd like to not rule out the possibility of continuing to use the Windows Mobile device even after completing the transition to new setup.

My question is, if I install the HanDBase Add-On for Android on my XP desktop, as you suggest, will the Windows Mobile device no longer synchronize with it? Does this version replace my current HanDBase Pro for Windows Mobile, or does it supplement it?

I don't think it's possible to get Active-Sync to work with Windows 8.1, so I couldn't synchronize the WM device with the Asus, could I? (according to your scenario, it would be running HanDBase Pro Desktop for Windows Mobile).

If my suspicions are correct, how about reversing your scenario, by leaving the same version of HanDBase in the XP machine, and making the XP desktop mimic the Android device, and then install HanDBase for Android in the Asus, letting it become the "desktop"? Then the WM device would see the same setup as before when plugged into the XP desktop.Would that work? Or any other ideas?

-avi
Avi

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:56 am

Avi wrote:Hi David,

I am FINALLY getting around to (read "getting up the nerve to") doing this, and a question occurred to me: while I am in transition from the old setup to the new (and knowing me, this could take a while) I want to be able to continue to record data in the Windows Mobile device, and synchronize that with my existing databases. Ideally, I'd like to not rule out the possibility of continuing to use the Windows Mobile device even after completing the transition to new setup.

My question is, if I install the HanDBase Add-On for Android on my XP desktop, as you suggest, will the Windows Mobile device no longer synchronize with it? Does this version replace my current HanDBase Pro for Windows Mobile, or does it supplement it?

I don't think it's possible to get Active-Sync to work with Windows 8.1, so I couldn't synchronize the WM device with the Asus, could I? (according to your scenario, it would be running HanDBase Pro Desktop for Windows Mobile).

If my suspicions are correct, how about reversing your scenario, by leaving the same version of HanDBase in the XP machine, and making the XP desktop mimic the Android device, and then install HanDBase for Android in the Asus, letting it become the "desktop"? Then the WM device would see the same setup as before when plugged into the XP desktop.Would that work? Or any other ideas?

-avi

Hi Avi,

When you install a new component that has the conduit for a different mobile platform it will supplement the current installation. It will replace the HanDBase Desktop with the version in the newer install. Generally the desktop version will be the same but I'm not sure when the Desktop was last updated for the Windows Mobile version. That shouldn't matter though since the Android version should have a newer version of the Desktop. Regardless it should still let you sync both the Windows Mobile and Android devices.

You won't be able to use ActiveSync with a newer version of Windows however that shouldn't be an issue. As of Windows Vista, I believe, they switched to the Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC), basically the replacement for ActiveSync. The Windows Mobile Conduit for HanDBase does work with that. Personally I haven't tested that on Windows 8 but from what I read the WMDC does work with Windows 8+. So if you want to switch to using your Asus as the primary device you'll need to get that from Microsoft.

As far as continuing to use the Windows Mobile device. I'd definitely recommend trying to choose one device as the "Master" desktop device. Be it the Asus or the Windows XP computer. By that I mean that both "Mobile" devices would sync to that one "Desktop". As opposed to syncing the Windows Mobile Device to the XP Computer and then syncing the XP computer to the Asus device. You could run into more complications that way. It would be better to sync the Windows Mobile device and the Asus to the XP Computer or the Windows Mobile Device and the XP Computer to the Asus device.

I'll be honest, it's been awhile since I used the Windows Mobile Conduit so I can't remember if it supports the Shared Databases like the Android conduit does. I'm pretty sure that functionality is part of Sync Exchange for Windows Mobile, although the setup is slightly different than in the Android Conduit. Assuming that's available you could continue to use the Windows Mobile device as well. Basically you'd put the databases you want to share into a specific folder, eg C:\Users\WINDOWSUSER\Documents\HanDBase\Shared\ and then point the conduit to the databases in that folder in the Shared database settings so that when the devices sync they would sync to those shared databases. That would allow you to sync multiple "mobile" devices to one "desktop, eg the Asus and WM devices to the XP Desktop. Theoretically you could also sync the XP Desktop and the WM Device to the Asus as well.

If you try to do any of the above, especially if you want to include the Windows Mobile device in the sync, I'd say to test it with a sample database or two first.

You should be able to reverse the scenario, just pointing to the HanDBase Sync folder on the XP computer as the folder to pull from for that "User/Sync". I would say to sync the WM device directly to the Asus in that scenario though but if you want to do some testing first you could sync the WM device to the XP computer and then sync to the Asus. Just be sure it's working as you want it to with some tests before making it your primary setup.

Mainly the reason for having one central "Desktop" user is because you'd only be syncing one device to that computer at a time. So there wouldn't be the likelihood of accidentally syncing multiple mobile devices at the same time, and running into problems with sync timing. So if you sync the Windows Mobile device to the XP Computer and then Sync the XP Computer to/with the Asus, where the Asus is ultimately the main desktop/device, you'd just want to make sure to have a system in place. For example...Always Sync the Windows Mobile device with the XP Computer first, the perform the sync with the Asus using the Android Conduit. That does however require you to remember if you added or edited records on the Windows Mobile device each time.

I hope that answers some of your questions. I apologize for the delay in responding. If you have any other questions please reply.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Windows