Repurchasing Forms App

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Repurchasing Forms App

Postby VelvetLounger » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Hello David.

I have replaced my work iPhone 5c with a personal one. Restored the new one from a backup of the old one. Now when I try to use the Forms App it tells me I have to repurchase it. If I select Restore Purchases I get a message saying "Regrant Failed. Please purchase the software application first"

If I Click on the $4.99 button I get the following message. "Unable to Purchase; This item is for an app that was purchased by a different Apple ID. to buy this item with this Apple ID you must first purchase the app."

I am still using the only Apple ID I have ever had. The Handbase app is working correctly and my Apple ID is the only one associated with the phone.

Any idea what is going on here? I really don't want to have to purchase the Handbase App and the forms App all over again.

thanks
Using HanDBase since I had my Palm 3.
VelvetLounger

Re: Repurchasing Forms App

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:04 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Over the past few years I have received a number of these problems but they always go back to the apple ID being different from when it was first purchased. That's what makes the most sense and exactly what the error messages are saying. That said, you're sure you have never changed your Apple ID so..

Here's what I recommend. Dig up your old receipt for your HanDBase purchase- should have been an email receipt from the app store. If you can find that, please forward it to my email address listed below in my sig. I can then help solve the problem. Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby DorothyD » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:36 am

If you sync your device with iTunes, you can see the Apple ID which purchased the app by selecting the app in the My Apps window of iTunes, and choosing File > Get Info. In the Get Info window click the File button to the right. (I use a Mac.)
DorothyD

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:51 am

DorothyD wrote:If you sync your device with iTunes, you can see the Apple ID which purchased the app by selecting the app in the My Apps window of iTunes, and choosing File > Get Info. In the Get Info window click the File button to the right. (I use a Mac.)

Good tip, Dorothy. Thanks for sharing!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby VelvetLounger » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:56 pm

I have done what Dorothy suggested and it says it was purchased by my apple id username. which does not surprise me as I have never had more than one id. Also something strange is that it says I purchased it on Dec 25 2014. Perhaps that is when the latest update was downloaded?

I do have a question on the apple id. Mine is old enough that it is <username>@mac.com. If I log in with <username>@me.com or <username>@icloud.com are those linked to the same account?

I have been using handbase on my iphone for several years. Long enough that I can't search back far enough to find my receipt. However I can see on the DDH software download page that I originally bought Handbase for my Palm on Feb 9 2005...

Thanks
keir
VelvetLounger

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi Keir,

Thanks for following up. Include a screenshot of the display in iTunes when you email Dave and he'll be able to help you out with this issue. Note that his email address is in his signature.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby VelvetLounger » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Great, thanks very much. I think I am also going to meet up with a Genius and get some answers on my apple id accounts. There seem to be a bunch of apps that are not showing up on my Purchased Apps list that I know I have purchased.
VelvetLounger

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:48 am

VelvetLounger wrote:Great, thanks very much. I think I am also going to meet up with a Genius and get some answers on my apple id accounts. There seem to be a bunch of apps that are not showing up on my Purchased Apps list that I know I have purchased.

Please let us know what the "Genius" shares with you, because every once in a while we encounter a problem similar to yours. We can help out on our end, but it would be great to know the root cause of why the problem with "lost" purchases happens in the first place!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby VelvetLounger » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:31 pm

It ends up that when I migrated to iCloud they created a new Apple ID for me without really letting me know thats what happened. So when I originally purchased Handbase years ago it was with a different Apple ID. It took an hour long phone call for them to figure this out.

Their first solution was to have me repurchase the software and then they would refund me the money. I pointed out that solves this particular problem but did not help with other problems I was having.

So now I will forever have to switch between two ID's in order to keep my devices updated. Apple in their supreme wisdom will not let you merge ID's

Thanks for your help on this.
Keir
VelvetLounger

Postby curtterp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Did they explain why they gave you a new Apple ID for switching to iCloud?
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch