Why? I Was Again Forced to Create a "New" iPhone User

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Why? I Was Again Forced to Create a "New" iPhone User

Postby MidCoast Jim » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:09 am

This whole scenario has pretty much happened before: see => http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3842

I have been on the road for 4 days, away from my laptop, so running without any synchs (HDB or IOS/iTunes) of any kind. Just now I went to do a WiFi synch =
1) open HDB on the iPhone
2) on the "choose a db" screen click on the rotating arrows icon at bottom right menu
3) open HDB Desktop on the laptop and click on "Config/Sync" and then "iPhone/iPod Touch Users"
4) choose the User/device ...which has been "iPhone" since events outlined in the previous thread cited above

...and, NO sync begins, I'm informed that there is no associated device available and do I want to create a new "iPhone User"?

After re-booting all devices, releasing and re-connecting to the WiFi network etc. I finally gave in and "re-introduced" the phone to the Desktop. Along with the old user "iPhone" there is a new user "iPhone 2"

I also note that on the iPhone, in "Settings/General" the device Name: shows as "iPhone(2)"

Okay!
1) WHY does this happen?
2) What COULD I have done to RE-associate the original "iPhone" and its PDBs with the Desktop and the underlying folders "D:\Documents\HanDBase\iPhone"
3) I do not like the user/device name "iPhone" and would prefer something like "Jims5C" ...down the road when I upgrade to a new iPhone it'll be easier to differentiate folders Is it possible to change the device/user name without creating ANOTHER NEW user?

Chicken and egg: I admit I did not check the device name in the iPhone's General Settings before syncing this morning so I don't know if the phone had decided to re-name itself iPhone (2) and that resulted in HDB not recognizing the phone. OR, maybe re-naming the HDB user caused the phone to re-name itself.

The only "unusual event" I can think of leading up to this is that during my four days away the iPhone IOS was updated to Version 8.2

It's all black magic! ;-(
Jim
MidCoast Jim

Re: Why? I Was Again Forced to Create a "New" iPhone User

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you have been bitten by this issue again!

Question for you - did you at some point in between syncs change the name used on your iPhone from "iPhone" to "iPhone(2)"? This name should not change without manual interaction.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby MidCoast Jim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:57 am

Hi Brian —

No, believe me, I would not dare to change the device/username without first checking in here.

As I mentioned, I was away from home and laptop for a few days — not doing any syncs or backups. During that time my iPhone's IOS updated to 8.2 ...that's the only "change" of which I am aware.

When I got home and attempted to sync there was no findable "association" and I was told I had to re-partner the desktop and phone.

So, how would I change the username from iPhone(2) to something a little more identifying?

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby mjhanna » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm

Have you seen this HanDBase post about Apple automatically creating a new iPhone ID for you:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3952#p16966
Seems from that post you get a new ID when you migrate to iCloud??

Could this have happened to you?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby curtterp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:16 pm

mjhanna wrote:Have you seen this HanDBase post about Apple automatically creating a new iPhone ID for you:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3952#p16966
Seems from that post you get a new ID when you migrate to iCloud??

Could this have happened to you?

I migrated to iCloud drive and didn't get a change in Phone ID... but I am a fairly new iPhone user, and the OP was a veteran of iPhone.... so that might be a consideration
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm

I've used the same Apple ID for years, way back when I just needed it for iTunes music, and haven't had any switches made by myself or otherwise. I think the situation that Keir ran into was a "Genius" set up iCloud, and likely instead of doing things properly, took it upon themselves to create the new account, which messed up Keir's purchase history.

The main reason I ask is because I have encountered people that seem to change their idea knowingly, but on a whim.

Since you didn't change the password, the partnership should not have needed to be recreated. Under normal circumstances it should not need to be recreated.

Looking at this from a different approach - do you use any software on your computer that regularly "cleans" stuff for you, files and the registry, maybe?

If yes, a while ago I never would have suspected those apps of causing any real damage but have run up against the problem of them actually deleting contents that were needed. If you do use one of these, abstain for a while after recreating the partnership to see if that was potentially a problem.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby MidCoast Jim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:I've used the same Apple ID for years, way back when I just needed it for iTunes music, and haven't had any switches made by myself or otherwise.....<snip>....

Should I empathize here that it was the ID of the iPhone that allegedly needed to be "re-partnered ...not MY Apple ID". Though, the fact that the "new" device was renamed iPhone (2) strongly suggests that the "old" device "iPhone" was there and forced the addition "(2)" suffix so as to not over-write the original.

I would be screaming bloody murder if Apple had re-assigned me a new Apple ID. I have way to much time and money invested in apps, music and subscriptions. I do know that somewhere back in the shadows I do have a "secondary Apple ID" — I tried to de-commision an old XT PC a few weeks ago and was told that no such PC was listed under my Apple ID. ;-(

[quote="Brian_Houghton"].....<snip>.... Looking at this from a diffe .....<snip>....rent approach - do you use any software on your computer that regularly "cleans" stuff for you, files and the registry, maybe?[/quote

I guess my answer here has to be that I'm pretty sure that I'm not using anything along those lines. Back in my Android days it was fashiuonable to have an app that would shut down "unnecessary" apps from running in the background. While I am sometime horrifed to see how may apps are still "open" in the background — sometimes DAYS after I've last used them — you guys have told us that if and when IOS requires the resourses it will shut those things down and we should not worry about them. [ I will admit that sometimes before doing a HanDBase sync I will force the closure of HDB before re-opening it for the wireless sync ]

So, is there a way for me to change the current device name "iPhone (2)" to something friendlier and more identifying?

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:15 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for following up.

You can reassign the name of your iPhone in its settings. This won't have any bearing on your Apple ID.

You do want to note that if you change the name in the phone's settings, you will have to create a new HanDBase sync partnership after doing so.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 am

Brian_Houghton wrote:...<snip>...You can reassign the name of your iPhone in its settings. This won't have any bearing on your Apple ID.

You do want to note that if you change the name in the phone's settings, you will have to create a new HanDBase sync partnership after doing so.

Thanks. Yeah, I assumed that changing the iPhone's name would again create a new sub-directory in D:\Documents\HanDBase\ on my harddrive.

BTW: re all the "user sub-directories" that have collected in the D:\Documents\HanDBase\, what's the best way to cull old and/or unnecessary subdirs? Can I just delete a sub-directory (e.g. "\PalmIII\" or "\CentroEC\") and its contained data or should I first go into HDB Desktop and "Manage Users" ...deleting the users there before deleting the folders and files?

I understand that changing my iPhone's name will not effect my Apple ID, but how about iCloud backups and the like. Is the "Apple connection/relationship" to my iPhone based on more than just the "name" that I have supplied?

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch