Accidentally deleted HanDBase App

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Accidentally deleted HanDBase App

Postby kbhom » Fri May 01, 2015 7:45 pm

The HanDBase app was accidentally deleted from my iPhone. The iPhone was backed up to iCloud and the HanDBase option was on. Is it possible to restore the app along with all the HanDBase data with an iCloud restore? Please let me know if it is possible and the best way to go about recovering my data.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
kbhom

Re: Accidentally deleted HanDBase App

Postby ArGiEs » Sat May 02, 2015 12:48 am

If you restore from iCloud it should bring the app back & restore all data in the app at the time of the backup. I think how it works is that the apps are not actually backed up with the data; when a restore is performed the apps are reloaded afresh from the App Store and the accompanying data is put into it from iCloud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby kbhom » Sun May 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Summary...
I was able to restore HanDBase along with all the other apps and data to my iPhone using both iCloud and iTunes backups.

Here were the circumstances...
1) HanDBase was accidentally deleted from iPhone.
2) iPhone was backed up to iCloud and HanDBase was marked in iCloud settings, but not all apps were marked due to space considerations.
3) iPhone was not backed up to iTunes prior to HanDBase being deleted.

Here was my plan...
1) Backup iPhone to iTunes.
2) Restore iPhone from iCloud backup.
3) Save the HanDBase DBs by sending them via email to myself (for reloading in step 5).
4) Restore iPhone from iTunes backup (in step 1).
5) Reload HanDBase and DBs.

Here is what happened...
1) Successfully backed up iPhone to iTunes.
2) Started iCloud restore, but only a few apps where restored and the restoration process never successfuly completed. Fortunately HanDBase along with its data was one of the apps that was restored.
3) Successfully sent the HanDBase DBs via email.
4) Successfully restored iPhone from iTunes backup (in step 1).
5) Surprisingly, HanDBase and data was already loaded, presumably from the unsuccessful iCloud restore.

My iPhone appeared to be back to the state before HanDBase was accidentally deleted, although there were a few settings and passwords that needed to be re-configured and re-entered for iOS and other apps. I suspect this was due to the partial unsuccessful iCloud restore. The iCloud backup and restore was not 100% reliable, but I did get back the most important data that I did not expect to be in the iTunes backup.

Lessons learned...
1) Always backup important data.
2) Have a process in place to recover important data.
3) Don't expect things to go as planned.

Thanks,
Brian
kbhom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 am

Glad to read you are back up and running!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby uboche » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 am

Lessons learned...
1) Always backup important data.
2) Have a process in place to recover important data.
3) Don't expect things to go as planned.

This is NOT new. When I was a systems programmer for IBM mainframes in the 70s, we once created a test system for a new OS version (which took a few days then). To be sure we wouldn't have to redo all the work in case something went wrong with our tests, we took a backup dump. Later, things indeed went wrong and we needed to restore. We then found out that the Dump/Restore utility had a bug which made the second an subsequent tapes of all backups unusable. We learned at that time that backing up is just not enough.
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby DorothyD » Thu May 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Regarding the passwords not being restored: I recently discovered that if you encrypt your iTunes backup, by checking a box on the Summary page, your passwords (and Health data) will be backed up. Otherwise, they're not backed up. You'll need to enter your encryption password when you want to restore.
DorothyD

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch