Pictures on Forms Desktop & iphone incompatible

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Pictures on Forms Desktop & iphone incompatible

Postby rbjoe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

There seems to be an incompatibility between forms for the desktop and forms on the iphone. I created a form on the desktop with several "picture button" controls. These picture button controls do not appear on the iphone when the database is synced to the iphone. This seems to be because the iphone version of forms has no "picture button" control. Instead the iphone only has a picture control.

How is this suppose to work?

Also can you please have an action of "set value to" where you can actually specify a value. The "set value to caption" option is kind of useless since the user has no control over the caption on the iphone as far as I know (it just uses the fiename as the caption and the iphone renames your pictures). Furthermore, if I want to set the value to a number (like 10) this may not uniquely identify a picture. What if I want a different photo to also set a value to 10?
rbjoe

Re: Pictures on Forms Desktop & iphone incompatible

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:53 am

Hello,

Indeed, the way forms uses images between HanDBase Desktop and the iPhone are not directly compatible. This is something that we have on our list to address. For now, when you sync the iPhone to the computer you will find your image files at ..\Documents\HanDBase\Images. When adding images to your forms on HanDBase Desktop, use the files in that directory to make sure that you are at least using the same image files.

Other than that there isn't much of a workaround right now, unless Dave has something else that I'm unaware of.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 am

rbjoe wrote:There seems to be an incompatibility between forms for the desktop and forms on the iphone. I created a form on the desktop with several "picture button" controls. These picture button controls do not appear on the iphone when the database is synced to the iphone. This seems to be because the iphone version of forms has no "picture button" control. Instead the iphone only has a picture control.

How is this suppose to work?

Firstly the picture control is the same as the picture button control on the desktop. Just a case of a different name for the same thing!

The images must be manually installed to the program. We only two way sync databases, not external files via the conduit. Images created on the iPhone will be backed up by the conduit, but the opposite is not true at this point. So to install these files, simply install them via Desktop Connect's install file command (to the right of the screen in your browser). You should then see them in the form you have on your iPhone.

Also can you please have an action of "set value to" where you can actually specify a value. The "set value to caption" option is kind of useless since the user has no control over the caption on the iphone as far as I know (it just uses the fiename as the caption and the iphone renames your pictures). Furthermore, if I want to set the value to a number (like 10) this may not uniquely identify a picture. What if I want a different photo to also set a value to 10?

I agree- this is a need I've personally had with my databases. The problem is that the forms format has locations to store a certain amount of data as parameters, and the spot for a 'caption' is being used by the file name (even if set to use the field's value, I copy that value in when the form is loaded into that location). So there is no room to also set a value there beyond that. If I had it to do over again, I'd surely leave some extra room around so that this type of functionality could be possible. Right now the set value to caption and append value to caption on a picture control are not useful for that reason.

I could come up with a temporary workaround that would not require a structure change, but I have to admit it's not the top thing on my to do list right now. There are some important updates and features needed on various HanDBase platforms that need my attention in the near term. Hopefully I can revisit this in a few months though!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby rbjoe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Dave,

Regarding images on desktop forms being visible on the iphone you said "So to install these files, simply install them via Desktop Connect's install file command (to the right of the screen in your browser). You should then see them in the form you have on your iPhone."

While this does seem to work the desktop connect seems to only accept one file at a time, which is a major hassle if you have multiple images to transfer. Is there a way to select multiple files and transfer them all at once?
rbjoe

Postby dhaupert » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 am

Yes indeed. If you are using the latest versions of the Desktop Conduit, you can install these in bulk using the following steps:

Browse to the folder where your databases are synced.

Mac:
Documents\HanDBase\Username

Windows:
My Documents\HanDBase\Username

where Username is the name of your device.

In there you'll find another folder labelled Install. Copy the images into that Install folder and perform a sync. All the images in that folder will be installed first. Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby rbjoe » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:50 am

Dave,

Thanks for the speedy response and the great idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Only one file from the "Install" folder was transferred.

Any idea why this won't work?

On a related issue, how can I delete images in the HanDbase image library that I don't want anymore?

Also when editing a form in Handbase Forms- image file source - specify file - other "add from library" option doesn't work. After my photo albums appear and I choose "photo library" the ipod touch freezes and then sends me back to the home screen.
rbjoe

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi,

Please find your sync log in HanDBase Desktop. It is available by selecting Configure -> iPhone Users -> View Log. Scroll to the bottom and find the start of the most recent sync. Highlight going down, copy and paste the response into your reply.

There is currently no way to delete individual images that are associated with records. Dave is considering some different options for it, but in the meantime if you *really* need an image to be deleted you can backup your databases, forms and images, uninstall HanDBase and then reinstall HanDBase along with all databases, forms and images except the ones you no longer want/need.

Finally, I'm unable to duplicate the issue with adding an image from the library to a form. It is working for me. Can you send me a copy of your database and form file so I can check them out and test with them? If so, please send them to me at support @ ddhsoftware . com

Please include a brief reminder of what I am to test them for :)
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby avabaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 pm

It is a pity. If you want to transfer your iPhone pictures and preview them on desktop, you can use iCloud to backup your pictures and view them on iCloud web pages. Then, you can preview or you can save them to your computer from the web pages.
avabaker

Return to HanDBase General Discussion