Palm Pre? Who's buying one this weekend?

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Are you planning on buying a Pre?

Yes, I'm getting in line this weekend (or before!) to get one
11%
Yes, I plan to get one, but first going to read the reviews to make sure it's as good as it looks
22%
Maybe, I plan on waiting to see what the next generation iPhone, Nokia n97, BlackBerry Storm 2, etc is like
11%
Not planning on purchasing a Pre at this time
56%

Total votes : 9

Palm Pre? Who's buying one this weekend?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 am

So this is the big weekend for Palm, with the Palm Pre shipping on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone was planning on buying one, or are people waiting to see how well it's reviewed. I saw a pic of the first guy camping out in line- seems a bit 'Pre'-Mature to start that ;) But all the same, I hope it does well, it's certainly garnered Palm some much needed respect and hype.
dhaupert

Re: Palm Pre? Who's buying one this weekend?

Postby jgfoley » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:35 am

Hi David,
I can't even think about the Pre until it will run HanDBase. For my paying job, I'm a Proj. Manager at a very busy and large boatyard. I use HanDBase to track everything from work orders, launch schedules, owner info, etc.. I'm also an Asst. Fire Chief for an Volunteer Fire Department in Maine. The chief officers have the complete 911 address list, all our pre-plans, etc... in HanDBase on our Smartphones for immediate on-scene access. We use both Palm OS and WinMo devices. As much as we would like to upgrade to the latest and greatest devices, we are committed to devices that will run HanDBase.

As excited I am for Palm and their accomplishments with the new OS, I need more than a modern user interface to run my life.

If the new WebOS is successful can we assume the you'll write software to run on it? In the meantime, thank you for all you do for the end users giving us the most productive software on the market for the mobile user.

This forum is a great medium for users to learn from others and to share ideas. Keep up the great work.

Sincerely,
Jim
jgfoley

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Not much interest in this topic- interesting!

Here's the first review I've found: http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/palm-pre-review/
dhaupert

Postby greyman56 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 am

If I have to change operating systems on my smart phone, it will not be another proprietry OS - it will be an open source one that I then have some control over. The question right now, is which one?
Cheers, Graham
greyman56

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:15 pm

greyman56 wrote:If I have to change operating systems on my smart phone, it will not be another proprietry OS - it will be an open source one that I then have some control over. The question right now, is which one?

Seems like the only legitimate options for open source are Android and, soon, s60. Pros and cons to each one at this point..
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 am

I will not think about buying a Pre until it goes to another carrier. I would not go back to Sprint even if Sprint paid me to use their network
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:44 am

curtterp wrote:I will not think about buying a Pre until it goes to another carrier. I would not go back to Sprint even if Sprint paid me to use their network

LOL, I actually was a sprint customer for many, many years, and honestly switched only because of the iPhone. I travelled quite a bit for trade shows and business related items, but the majority of the usage was in South Florida, where I believe they have equivalent coverage to AT&T and Verizon, and better than T-Mobile. I have relatives and friends living in the NE though, and they seem to hate Sprint, so I think it must be related to certain areas.

And the fact that Sprint has lost a million subscribers a quarter for several years now means that most agree with you on this.

A bright side is that AT&T and Verizon both said they will be carrying the pre in about 6 months, so once Sprint's 6 months of exclusivity ends, I think we'll see a lot more interest in this platform.
dhaupert

Postby BruceArnold » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:39 pm

I seriously intended to, and then got busy with other stuff! Remembered after the local Sprint store had already closed.

I have mixed feelings. I'm not crazy about the Centro I've been using. I'm pretty sure the Pre will be an improvement. But it does work ok, and ... it's paid for.

My main problem with the Centro, a recent development, is that I can't get it to sync. When I plug it in, it cycles rapidly from online to offline. I've tried with the cable that came with it, and a cradle I bought on the aftermarket, and it just won't stay connected. This isn't a Centro forum, and I'm not looking for an answer. I'm just saying.

What I've done is break out the old Palm Tungsten E, and beamed all my critical data over to it. The Tungsten syncs, no problem at all. It's kind of nice having the larger screen back too. I always had a bit of worry, having my PDA functions on the same device as my phone. If one broke, they were both broken. This is not a good situation IMO, although so long as everything works well, it is convenient to only carry one.

The other problem I had with the Smartphone approach is that as a medical professional, I use HanDBase for critical and confidential patient records. I use Teal Lock on the Tungsten, for general security and to encrypt some data, and the built-in HanDBase encryption for records on that app. HanDBase works fine on the Centro, no problem there, but I could never get Teal Lock to provide the extra level of security I wanted. On the Tungsten it all works great.

But we're not just talking cell phones and PDAs here. There is also web access. I use it all the time, and not just for play. The Centro is adequate in this regard. It looks like the Pre will be better.

So on the whole, I am still inclined to go with the Pre, even if I decide to continue using a separate PDA. Won't be able to get to the Sprint store tomorrow, though. Maybe Tuesday.

I've never had a problem with the Sprint network, as networks go. I have been with Alltel and Cellular One before, and Sprint does as well as either of those, at least here in eastern NC.
BruceArnold

Postby BruceArnold » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am

Well, I had some free time this morning (Monday) so I thought I'd go to the Sprint store and at least check out the Pre, and maybe buy one.

Obstacle #1: the local store is closed "for repairs." Sign on the door gave phone #'s for stores in neighboring towns.

Call the Havelock store. Nice young lady tells me that they don't have them, and have not yet gotten got any. They are not owned by Sprint, and she thinks that they sent the first batch to their own stores. That's an odd marketing technique. Send me an email saying that they are available now, but not to stock them at all the Sprint stores, whether corporately owned or not. But she thinks the store in Jacksonville, which is corporate, might have them.

Call Jacksonville. Get a surly salesman. They don't have them. Silence. Me: "So, any idea when you might get them?" Him: "No." Silence. Me: "You're not trying very hard to sell them, are you?" Him: "They're all on backorder." Me: "Backorder? Really? They just went on sale two days ago." Him: "There are 50 states and the rest of the world to supply." Me: "Both Sprint and Palm are struggling financially. Market share is dropping fast. Does this strike you as a good way to improve things, to promote something for months and then not have it to sell?" Him: "I don't know." Silence. Me: "Okay, then." Click.

Maybe I'll wait six months until the other cell providers can sell them. If this is the way things are going, I don't expect Sprint to be around for long.
BruceArnold

Postby curtterp » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 am

dhaupert wrote:
curtterp wrote:I will not think about buying a Pre until it goes to another carrier. I would not go back to Sprint even if Sprint paid me to use their network

LOL, I actually was a sprint customer for many, many years, and honestly switched only because of the iPhone. I travelled quite a bit for trade shows and business related items, but the majority of the usage was in South Florida, where I believe they have equivalent coverage to AT&T and Verizon, and better than T-Mobile. I have relatives and friends living in the NE though, and they seem to hate Sprint, so I think it must be related to certain areas.

And the fact that Sprint has lost a million subscribers a quarter for several years now means that most agree with you on this.

A bright side is that AT&T and Verizon both said they will be carrying the pre in about 6 months, so once Sprint's 6 months of exclusivity ends, I think we'll see a lot more interest in this platform.

I actually became a Sprint subscriber by default. I had Nextel for years, but when Sprint bought out Nextel, I started to get calls dropping on my drive back and forth to work. When I notified Sprint of problems with certain areas, they told me that there was no problem in those areas, just normal dead spots. I told them that I had coverage there before, and now its consistent dead, and they had answer. Their customer service went downhill, and less than 4 months later, I went to Verizon (I also found out that I get a discount through work, and with number portability now available, it was an easy decision)

I actually get a discount through ATT too, but the discount is less than 1/2 of what I get for Verizon. I have considered moving over to ATT for the iphone, but decided that if Apple doesnt go to ATT, I will not get an iphone at this time.

I have checked out the Pre, but I am not a fan of the way they have the keybaord slides out. I would rather have a keyboard in the landscape position.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Next

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS