Can I sync tablet and iPhone with PC laptop?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Can I sync tablet and iPhone with PC laptop?

Postby bedelman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi,

I'm exploring the HanDbase Professional app for a simple CRM.

I use a PC (Lenovo T410, Windows 7 Pro - SP1), a Tablet (Dell Latitude ST2, Windows 8.1 Pro) and an iPhone 5s (ios 8.4).

Can I sync them all together? I assume I would technically be syncing each of the mobile devices (tablet and iPhone) one at a time with the laptop?

My goal is to create forms and primarily enter data on the laptop, and have the info available on the mobile devices with the ability to make minor edits and additions on them out in the field.

Can HanDbase handle this..? if so, which add-ons would I need.

There are always drawbacks to any multiple device arrangement - maybe you could point out what functional drawbacks I might expect.

Thank you kindly,
..Bill..
bedelman

Re: Can I sync tablet and iPhone with PC laptop?

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for writing.

We appreciate your interest in HanDBase.

First, HanDBase on the iPhone will sync easily to both HanDBase on the laptop and HanDBase on the tablet. For this I normally recommend HanDBase Plus for iOS as the addon for the computer, but since you are interested in forms I encourage using HanDBase Professional for iOS.

LINKS:
HanDBase for iPhone: http://tinyurl.com/hdb4iphone
HanDBase Professional for iOS addon (for computer): http://ddhsoftware.com/handbasedesktopwinios.html

Next, regarding syncing, the area with need of more configuration will be the computer to computer sync. You will need to use a cloud service, such as Dropbox, to exchange the databases, as well as configure HanDBase Professional on each computer to look for files in the Dropbox folder that holds your databases. It's a pretty simple configuration, and I'll be happy to get you instructions once you confirm you use Dropbox, or another cloud sync program.

For forms, I do encourage getting the optional forms designer for the iPhone. It is an in app purchase of $5 USD. The usefulness of it is that it allows for a true "what you see is what you get" form design environment, allowing you to perfectly position all of the data and controls as you need.

Hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please let me know!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion