Service ticket type database

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Service ticket type database

Postby dtherio » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello,

Ancient HanDBase user from the Palm days. Recently purchased the iPhone and iPad versions. Also have the Pro desktop software.

A project I would like to work on is in effect a service ticket system. I work on the Stop Arm cameras and computer systems on school buses. We recently completed updating our information of all the systems to include the proper computer unit, bus lot, bus number, MAC address, modem esn and other information.

What I would like to do is import all of this information into a database. Then as I am working I want to create a new ticket. Enter the lot (from a pop-up) and the bus number. I would then like the system to pre-populate much of the historical data into the new record (MAC address, esn, number of cameras, etc.). However, I do need to have the ability to change the data if need be. If I replace the unit it will have a new Mac or replacing the modem it will have a new esn.

I will need a unique ID as some buses at different lots have the same bus number and the mac addresses can of course change.

Any heads up on how to start this project?

Thanks.

Dale
dtherio

Re: Service ticket type database

Postby dtherio » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Oh, while initially this is to be a one user system (me). If it works well I could see moving the back end to an online MySQL database.
dtherio

Re: Service ticket type database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Initially, I would consider using a setup involving two databases, using DB Popup fields to pull multiple data pieces from one to the other.

You could create a database that holds camera information, such as an ID, Mac, ESN, etc and a second database that includes a couple of text fields with information about the bus, maybe the bus number, lot number, tag number, etc.

In the camera database, you could add a couple of DB Popup fields that share a common group number (scroll down while configuring the field to see this parameter) that point to the bus info fields in the bus database. You would then find that upon selecting a bus number, all of the corresponding data would be pulled across into the main database.

As for truly unique numbers, I encourage using the "combine text" action in the external field type to create a unique string out of different fields in the database. For example, you could start by combining the ESN with other pieces of information, perhaps date of service, bus number, etc, depending upon how static these are.

Hope this points you in the right direct, giving you a few ideas to work with. If you have questions, let me know, please.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion