Is HanDBase Still Being Developed?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Is HanDBase Still Being Developed?

Postby RAlfieri » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi, guys! I've been using this product since the Palm days. I really like it, but it hasn't changed much over the years to improve the presentation layer and UI. Is this product still being developed or is it now in maintenance-only mode?

Thanks and regards,
Rob
RAlfieri

Re: Is HanDBase Still Being Developed?

Postby dhaupert » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:39 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your question. HanDBase development has certainly slowed down over the last year or so as I've had to take on other work to supplement my income. That said, I'm still here, as is Brian and we certainly intend to keep HanDBase moving along, albeit at a slower pace. Certainly will fix any bugs that are reported/found and incompatibilities as possible, and also working on some new features (eg, External fields in Android version, and a cloud sync in the iOS version). But I'll admit I have far less hours in the week to spend on HanDBase than I did when this was my only endeavor.

Hope this info is helpful!
dhaupert

Postby IainF » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:08 am

Hi Dave,
I'm another Palm onwards user having gone from Palm to iOS and now to Android. It wasn't clear to me what a cottage industry DDH Software is. I guess a professional website can disguise the size of the organization behind it.

I'm also a bit frustrated with the lack of progress (as you are I'm sure). I am grateful that HandBase exists on the platforms I've mentioned but I guess you are spread very thin developing not only for these but another 7 or so platforms (if you are actively developing for all of these).

Furthermore although it's nice to hear of further options for e.g. the Android platform, there are some real issues that could be dealt with prior to this. For example, I can only really use HandBase on my Note 4 because it has a stylus. The list view of the database starts to truncate the text vertically unless the font is very small and in the filters page the first line of criteria is black text on a dark grey box on a dark grey background and is illegible... Could the day to day usability of the program be improved before new features are added?

Finally, I think most users would be willing to pay for the development of the app and I wondered if a kickstarter type of approach might be something that you would consider to allow you to spend time on the app rather having to pursue other work to keep the wolf from the door.

Cheers

Iain
IainF

Postby Gab-Hop » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:24 am

I agree
I would be willing to pay a lot more for the app
As i still haven't found anything as good
But would like to see it a bit more stable especially when going down three levels of links if there are calculations involved the dbs can start doing some strange things like duplicating data from a record you are working on into one that was linked to a different parent and then automatically relinking to the one you are editing
And also the compatability with the desktop seems to be getting behind as the desktop can have trouble showing up certain views that are created on the Android
It used to be a lot more stable and error free when syncing with desktop in the days of the Win mobile PDA
Yes i would pay a lot more to see this app improve :?:
Gab-Hop

Postby jimgrant1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:00 pm

I, too, have used HanDBase for several years. I have not found a product that provides that much functionality for the same price.

Dave, as a businessman, I understand where you are coming from. However, there is another alternative than redirecting your efforts to other software products. That is, you could spend more time promoting HanDBase in social media with no to little cost.

I recognize that there are frequent tweets on Twitter about HanDBase, but the most recent one I could find on YouTube was over a year old. - - - Contrast that with Evernote which gets many new posts to YouTube everyday.

What say ye, Dave?
jimgrant1

Postby sirlansa » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:59 pm

dhaupert wrote:... and a cloud sync in the iOS version).

Really happy to see this still on the to-do list! Handbase could become my only database once this is syncing is achieved.
Would like the ability to share a dbase with other cloud users, as well as across all my own iOS devices!

Thanks for keeping up the good work, albeit part-time.
sirlansa

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:12 am

jimgrant1 wrote:I, too, have used HanDBase for several years. I have not found a product that provides that much functionality for the same price.

Dave, as a businessman, I understand where you are coming from. However, there is another alternative than redirecting your efforts to other software products. That is, you could spend more time promoting HanDBase in social media with no to little cost.

I recognize that there are frequent tweets on Twitter about HanDBase, but the most recent one I could find on YouTube was over a year old. - - - Contrast that with Evernote which gets many new posts to YouTube everyday.

What say ye, Dave?

This is an interesting idea. Perhaps tutorials, short promo videos? Will give this some thought and see what can be done here.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby valiants » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:41 pm

l am an currently an android user and getting a little frustrated with the way handbase seems to be winding down in its development

I have a suggestion
that Handbase be free and that the new features be paid for by the users. So like the votes for the new feature, people put in money for the new features

I have been using Handbase for about 8 years and I generally like it. I brought it because of the long term support it was claiming, and I could put effort into making a good system for our company that wouldn't be rendered useless with the latest device that came out

The way it could work is that someone wants a new feature, they write in explaining it. The management then puts a value of the cost of the feature. The people then put in their votes/money for the feature/s they want (except there is no limit as in the votes ) Say $2 votes or something like that

The strategy is that databases have little value to the user when they are first brought, hence the low initial cost for database apps in general, but as they are used and input is put in, sometimes thousands of hours and even more thousands of dollars in time, they become very valuable When the database has more value for the user, they would be willing/able to spend more money on that extra feature that would save them even more time and money. We would not then just be relying on new users to pay for improvements Maybe people that have already paid could be given some value of what they have already paid in votes

The money needs to come from were the most value is.

One advantage would be also that to get your pet feature started you could create a lot of grass roots social networking, publicity, free advertising, to get more money.

Another suggestion is that everything stay the same and maybe only lower the new user price. And have new features paid for by heavy users with invested interest, and have some sort of incentive to make them pay

If there is some way to capitalize on the base of users and encourage new one's without saddling the new users with all the cost of development and create a dynamic system were everybody gets value

Does anybody else think they would put money down in this way?

What do you think Dave?

Regards Valiant
valiants

Postby exmpro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:35 pm

I have been using HB for many years now from the Windows phone and PC through to iPad and iPhone versions, and hope to see it being further developed.
I would be happy to pay more for new versions or added functionality.
exmpro

Postby dhaupert » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks all for your continued support and interest! I am definitely still supporting HanDBase and work on new features is underway. I appreciate the sentiment of the idea of further support financially from you. Hopefully the new additions are things that can help grow sales of HanDBase and support this endeavor to continue.
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase General Discussion