lost words

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

lost words

Postby hawaiianlungs » Sat May 16, 2015 1:32 am

I am writing about the Android version. Android 5.1 on second generation Nexus 7

It seems to work fine, but many times I loose words.

I have it set up to store Chinese words. I have the English meaning and the Chinese word.

The Chinese E is written like han(3yu(1).

But many times after I enter a word, the next time I look it is gone.

What is happening, or should I just assume that dome will be lost.

I think I am saving it correctly by selecting the check mark.
hawaiianlungs

Re: lost words

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun May 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

At this time HanDBase does not support Unicode fonts, leading to the result that the Chinese language is also not supported.

Sorry to not have different news.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby hawaiianlungs » Sun May 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Although I appreciate your reply, you did not answer my question.

I never put Chinese characters. The form I add I showed to you such as:

Hao(6)ya(1)

Will this also be lost? Is the ( and ) Unicode?
hawaiianlungs

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon May 18, 2015 5:53 am

Sorry for misunderstanding. I'd initially read your first post as though you were trying to write Chinese characters in the HanDBase database, which would not work.

The ( and ) characters are not unicode. They are safe to enter.

Therefore, going back to the original problem of your word being lost, can you identify a pattern that leads to the word being gone? Is only the current record gone?
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby gilx » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:52 pm

I think I'm having a similar problem as Brian_Houghton and it started a couple of weeks ago. Prior to this recent problem I have run this database and views for at least three years with no problems. I have a shopping database of 500+ items. To create my shopping list from this database I select a "check-box" that I have named "Need" for each item I want, then show by way of a saved view named "Purchase" all those items that have been checked. The problem manifests itself two ways:

1. From the view of items I have previously selected, I will check off the "check-box" field "Need" which will then take it out of the view "Purchase". It works just as it is supposed to: the item immediately disappears from my "Purchase" view. I will continue through my list, complete my shopping and go home. However, the next time I open HanDBase back up, usually several days later, to create a new shopping list I find all the items that I had previously checked off are back!

2. Similarly, in creating the shopping list I will check the "Need" field of several items in the database and they will then show up in my "Purchase" view as expected. I usually create this view over several days eventually getting it large enough to justify making a trip to the store. Yesterday I check several items. They showed up in my "Purchase" view as expected. However, this morning when I went to the store they were no longer showing in my "Purchase" view, the "check-box" field was off in each item. This was the first time I have seen this part of the problem: checked on items reverting to the off condition.

To summarize: I check on a "check-box" field, it checks on correctly, but sometime later it reverts to the unchecked condition. Likewise, I will check off a "check-box" field, which then shows correctly as being off, then sometime later it will revert to the on condition again. The period of time for "sometime later" must be several hours. When I'm actively working the database and views it works correctly. It seems when I look at my shopping list the next day the "check-box" field has reverted.

I run HanDBase on my Nexus5 phone currently running Android 5.1.1
gilx

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for posting.

Without seeing the database, it's hard to say for sure what is happening. Might be a problem related to custom views and filters.

What I would like you to do is:

a) find a free screen recorder on Google Play
b) install it to your Android
c) use it to record the problem

When done, if you could send me a link to the video, that would be helpful.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby gadebmo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:10 am

gilx wrote:To summarize: I check on a "check-box" field, it checks on correctly, but sometime later it reverts to the unchecked condition. Likewise, I will check off a "check-box" field, which then shows correctly as being off, then sometime later it will revert to the on condition again. The period of time for "sometime later" must be several hours. When I'm actively working the database and views it works correctly. It seems when I look at my shopping list the next day the "check-box" field has reverted.

I run HanDBase on my Nexus5 phone currently running Android 5.1.1

I think that gilx's problem could be caused by the changes somehow not being written to file, but only reside in memory. This would explain why gilx can operate the database normally immediately after the changes have been made - the changes still reside in memory. If the data for one reason or another has NOT been written to file when gilx leaves the HanDBase application, and Android subsequently pushes the HanDBase application out of memory, then the OLD data will be loaded from file into memory the next time HanDBase is started, thus cancelling the changes that were made in the previous session.

I have neither a Nexus5 nor Android 5.1.1, so I cannot replicate anything. However, I have personally adopted the routine to always leave HanDBase using the menu > exit option, which I believe ensures that the data is written to file. (I seem to remember that this procedure was recommended a long time ago, early in the Android/HanDBase history, when there was a problem related to the saving to file)

HTH
gadebmo
gadebmo

Return to HanDBase General Discussion