HanDBase not working in Windows 10

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

HanDBase not working in Windows 10

Postby nhg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 am

Since upgrading to Windows 10 (Pro) I have not been able to open HanDBase. Clicking on program shoes icon on task bar but program does not open. I am then unable to close the icon on task bar and have to use task manager to get rid of it. I have uninstalled/reinstalled HanDBase Desktop to no avail. I have tried running it in Windows 7 mode (the last OS in which it worked) and this has not helped. Suggestions Please. Thanks
nhg

Re: HanDBase not working in Windows 10

Postby nhg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:42 am

Shows -- not shoes.

NHG
nhg

Postby curtterp » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:28 am

nhg wrote:Since upgrading to Windows 10 (Pro) I have not been able to open HanDBase. Clicking on program shoes icon on task bar but program does not open. I am then unable to close the icon on task bar and have to use task manager to get rid of it. I have uninstalled/reinstalled HanDBase Desktop to no avail. I have tried running it in Windows 7 mode (the last OS in which it worked) and this has not helped. Suggestions Please. Thanks

It runs on my Windows 10 (home) box just fine....

Have you checked to make sure that you have the latest HanDBase Desktop? You can check this by logging into your account at ddhsoftware.com. (click on the login tab on the website)

Have you restarted your computer prior to reinstallation? Some updates will prevent some programs from starting if you haven't restarted since installation.

Did anything weird happen during reinstallation?

Did you reinstall with your admin account? If you do not have admin rights, sometimes a program installation looks like it went through, but not all the components get installed in the correct spots.

When you uninstalled HanDBase Desktop, did you use the Windows uninstaller or just remove it from Program Files? If you don't use the Windows Control Panel to uninstall, things are not removed that could be bad, thus a reinstall would not work because these components are still lurking around.

I know that some of these suggestions/questions might seem a little to basic, but these are some of the things that could be the cause of the problem.

Reply back if none of these help with the version of HanDBase Desktop you are having issues with.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby nhg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks for timely response.

I believe that I am using the latest versions (4.6.2 for Android and 4.7.7 for iPhone). These are the versions in my account.

Yes, I have restarted computer after uninstalling HanDBase using Windows uninstall program.

Nothing unusual occurred during uninstall or reinstall.

And I did reinstallation with Admin privileges.

I have just discovered that, if I run the program "As Administrator", it works. Just opening the program in the usual way does not work. So, now I have optioned the program to always run as Administrator.
nhg

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I think you may have emailed in, also, right? If so, you should have an email from me.

Regarding HanDBase Desktop, it really needs to be run either in an admin account or with admin privileges. This is because it reads registry information regularly. For now, keep it set to "run as admin" and you should find it works for you.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion