Help with my first DB

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Help with my first DB

Postby victorfdez » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:08 am

Hi, I'm pretty new with this. I want to make a DB to handle my stuff, I've lots of objects inside boxes and I want to have a track of this object. For example, Object 1 is inside Box 1 which is on room 1. I thought on a DB named Objects with fields: Name, Photo and Father. Father will be a link to another object on Objects. In this way, I could start making a photo of a room, then a photo of the boxes inside the room, saying that they father is this Room 1. Then, making photo of the objects in the Box 1, saying that they father is Box 1, and so on... I tried lots of permutations but I can't get this working. Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance. And sorry for my english.
victorfdez

Re: Help with my first DB

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:05 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing.

Have you been trying relationships from parent to child?

Have you considered a single database using different views for different objects, instead of multiple tables connected via relationships?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby victorfdez » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 am

I tried all with no results. Can you provide me some example? Thanks in advance
victorfdez

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:00 am

Hi,

I've built a small sample illustrating how to do room by room inventory using filters and custom views.

You can download the database file from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7806f9wmsao1 ... m.PDB?dl=0

If you open the link on your connected device running HanDBase, you will be prompted to open the database in HanDBase. The file will be copied to HanDBase's local storage directory at that time, as well.

With the database open, you will notice there are three fields: Room, Item and Box Number. By default all of the sample records will show, revealing your complete inventory. If you tap on the view selector at the bottom you will be able to select Room One, revealing only those records for items in the first room, and Room Two, Box 2, revealing only those records in box 2 in the second room.

Please study the configuration of the custom views as they will reveal how filtering is added to achieve the results you are needing.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby glenwf » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Never tried getting stuff from your dropbox before.
1. hit link and had to download dropbox.
2. got it in my device, but dropbox couldn't open it.
3. went back to forum, hit link.
4 it went to dropbox and it couldn't view it.

Somehow I can't get it to connect with Handbase. I can get it from my MacBookPro, but thought I might learn something new.

Am I doing something wrong?
glenwf

Postby curtterp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:24 am

glenwf wrote:Never tried getting stuff from your dropbox before.
1. hit link and had to download dropbox.
2. got it in my device, but dropbox couldn't open it.
3. went back to forum, hit link.
4 it went to dropbox and it couldn't view it.

Somehow I can't get it to connect with Handbase. I can get it from my MacBookPro, but thought I might learn something new.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here is how you get it from Dropbox (I confirmed this with my iPhone 6+, iOS 9)

1 - Press the link
2 - When you see the file, IGNORE the Open in app button. Press the arrow on the right hand side of the DropBox Title Page
3 - Press Direct Download option
4 - Right Hand Side, Press Open in HanDBase link
5 - HanDBase opens up, then opens up the database.

I went through your steps and pressed the open in App button. This opens up the Dropbox app, not HanDBase like you would think it would (I thought it would open HanDBase). I then went back and pressed the link again looking for a different path of doing things.

Have fun
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby glenwf » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks. I learned something today - your instructions helped.
glenwf

Postby curtterp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Your welcome.... I just learned that too by playing with it yesterday...... not bad at all....
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby fritzmom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi There

FYI, I don't use Dropbox but I had no problem opening and saving the example DB to my desktop when I clicked on 'Download'. My PC asked me if I wanted to 'save' or 'open' the file. I did it both ways and it's in my HanDBase folder now.

It worked because I did it from my desktop?

Barb
fritzmom

Postby curtterp » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 am

fritzmom wrote:Hi There

FYI, I don't use Dropbox but I had no problem opening and saving the example DB to my desktop when I clicked on 'Download'. My PC asked me if I wanted to 'save' or 'open' the file. I did it both ways and it's in my HanDBase folder now.

It worked because I did it from my desktop?

Barb

We were talking about downloading directly it to our iPhones from Dropbox when we have the Dropbox app on the phone. The couple of extra steps were needed because it could see we had the app, so it handles thing differently, mainly trying to get me to copy it over to my Dropbox space first.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Return to HanDBase General Discussion