NOT syncing properly between Touch and Desktop

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

NOT syncing properly between Touch and Desktop

Postby fritzmom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:55 am

iPod Touch 5th gen 32 GB iOS v 7.1.2
HanDBase for iPhone Version: 4.9.063

Windows 7 32bit
HanDBase Professional for iPhone/iPad 4.7.7 Build R2 installed
HanDBase Plus for iPhone/iPad 4.7.5 Build R1 installed

Edit Sync Settings for DataBase in question: Use Default Settings for this Database is 'checked off'

and the (DEFAULT) setting checked off is: Synchronize this database

The DESKTOP is OVERWRITING the HANDHELD, but NOT ALL the time. I have lost faith in this database manager software. I can no longer trust that what I'm keeping track of, is correct because IT IS NOT CORRECT.

If there is some simple explanation of why my desktop overwrites the handheld PLEASE let me know. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a 'bug' in the software?

I email the handheld db to myself BEFORE I perform a sync. I also COPY the Desktop dbs before syncing. This is so I KNOW what is actually CORRECT on both the handheld and desktop.

After every single sync I have to go to both the handheld and desktop and VERIFY that what synced was actually correct by cross-checking each record that was added or edited on both handheld and desktop. This problem has been happening since May of this year.

I am past becoming irate about this, are there any suggestions and help for this problem?

Barb
fritzmom

Re: NOT syncing properly between Touch and Desktop

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. If the conduit decides to do something other than what you have set (sync both ways) it may be because there was a structure change on one of the sides (handheld or desktop). Two database files can only sync if the database structure stays the same. For example, let's say you changed your field 2 from a date field to a checkbox on your device. at that point all of the data has been updated for every single record to make a date field into a checkbox. And when it goes to sync with the desktop where the field is still a date, it's not possible to merge the data. In this case, the conduit creates a warning and explains in the sync log why this has happened. It will take the newer of the two databases (ie, the one with the most recent change) and keep that across the devices, but will back up your changes from both sides to the backup folder, should you need to export and import a few records manually or refer to them.

There are many other changes to the structure aside from field types and the most common one people make are changing the settings for views- that too is part of the structure and will cause the same result.

I can't say for certain that this is what is happening but if you want to send me the sync log or post it here we can definitely see whether this is the case!
dhaupert

Postby fritzmom » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:02 am

Hi Dave

After I posted to the forum I also sent an email to support, with the last sync log attached. I received an email reply from Brian but haven't heard anything since.

I know that if the same record is edited on both the desktop and a device, the newest change is the one that gets accepted.

I probably do occasionally change the view of a DB, but the problem I'm having is happening way too often and when I don't make any structural changes to the DB.

If I'm not mistaken, this problem started around the time I updated the handheld to the latest version. I can't say for sure, but looking back when I updated and when I thought I was going crazy the dates seem to match.

I will not make any further structural changes to the DB, on the desktop only ADD new records, and on the handheld only EDIT records that are already there. See what happens. I will also start syncing every night (if I can remember) to be able to pick up any anomalies as they occur, when they occur.

Barb
fritzmom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Barb,

Thanks for following up. You should have an email from me this morning, as well as a couple of back and forth emails from Monday. As noted in today's email, I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Been treading water this week at work since we've had late nights and parent / teacher conferences all week.

Please reconfigure the partnership as per the instructions in the email and let me know the results. Please respond via email since we already have a dialogue there, and then we'll post the final results here when we solve the problem.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:30 am

As promised, I'm posting a follow up here:

The initial issue stems from upgrading to Windows 10.

With a few relatively simple steps, we were able to fix the problem and get syncing working properly again for fritzmom.

Sincere thanks to her for her help in tracking down the issue.

If you experience anything similar and are using Windows 10, let us know via email, please.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch